Author Topic: Fresh Mozzarella - FAIL  (Read 1753 times)

fivetails

Fresh Mozzarella - FAIL
« on: April 29, 2016, 10:49:33 PM »
My first attempt at making fresh mozzarella was a complete fail.  Here is the link to the recipe I used:  http://thefrugalchicken.com/how-to-make-fresh-mozzarella-30-minute-recipe-you-can-make-tonight/.  I bought a gallon of whole milk at the store, a new thermometer, the citric acid and animal rennet off of amazon.  The rennet said it was for making cheese.  I followed the directions and I never got any curds.  I just have a gross milk soup.  Any ideas on what happened?  Sorry, I am sure this has been posted before, but couldn't find any current conversations.  Ugh.  so frustrated. 

AnnDee

Re: Fresh Mozzarella - FAIL
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 11:33:03 PM »
I think it's your milk, is it pasteurised and homogenised milk?
I suggest using non homogenised milk for mozzarella.

fivetails

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 11:36:53 PM »
Thank you, I will try again.  The recipe only said to not use UP milk, so I thought it would be ok.  I really wanted this to work.  :(

Kern

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 08:22:36 PM »
Thank you, I will try again.  The recipe only said to not use UP milk, so I thought it would be ok.  I really wanted this to work.  :(
And it shall work thanks to your new CheeseForum.org buddy who lives probably less than 25 miles from you!  Get some Twin Brooks pasteurized but not homogenized whole milk.  It is available here in Enumclaw at our local QFC so you might find some at a QFC near you.  If not, Google Twin Brooks (they are up near Lyndon) and see who has it in Seattle.  About the only local P&H milk that has a shot at making decent cheese is Pantry Essentials from Safeway/Albertons - the cheap brand, by the way!  I don't know if it will make mozzarella.  While this cheese seems  easy to make it's not.  You've got to have the temperature and pH just right even if you do get good curd formation (which is the usual problem with P&H milk).  Here is a link to a better 30 minute mozzarella recipe.

Welcome to the Forum.  You'll find lots of help here.  But, it will take you some time to learn the art.  Once you've got it you'll make better cheese than you can buy and be the envy of all your friends.   8)

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 12:10:19 AM »
I know QFC and Metropolitan Market around Seattle generally have Twin Brooks.

Susan

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 03:39:07 AM »
My first few mozzarella failed as well, I've had my fill of ricotta from the failed mozzarella ! :) keep trying ...as Kern said... It's not as simple as the recipe looks... Waiting a bit longer for curds to set may be necessary.... 1/4 tsp calcium chloride will help set curds as well. Good luck!

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 09:49:39 PM »
I've made this and really - it is a bland, rubbery, tasteless cheese. Yes it works when you get it right but I'd rather put the effort into making a real one.  Yes it takes longer but the results are so much more enjoyable.  If you have the gear to make the 30 minute (and it never takes just 30 minutes) blob, then you have the tools to make a proper one.  That said to get a real one made is just as difficult and takes practice.  If I had my Cheese making beginnings all over again I would be making things like Feta and Caerphilly or even Queso Fresco/Fromage Blanc.  You get to eat the rewards of your hard work sooner.

Don't give up - as so many do after trying this 'Easy' cheese.  Have a cheese from me and keep practicing.

Just my 10 Cents !

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

fivetails

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 02:07:18 PM »
Thank you again for all of tips.  I want to learn more about making cheeses etc and thought I would start with something easy.  I will keep you posted.  I am also new to this group!