Author Topic: Greetings from Toronto Ontario....  (Read 1227 times)

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
Greetings from Toronto Ontario....
« on: May 02, 2016, 03:17:45 AM »
Hi all !
I'm Fritz, thanks for having me... I'm on my 50th cheese creation (as per my handy dandy cheese log) so far, and wanted to learn and hang out with other cheese makers to be a better cheese guy :)
I started my cheese making hobby about a year ago purchasing a Mad Millie hard cheese kit ... Was cool because it came with a decent cheese press. Today...I have 3 wine fridges for cheese caves (need another one soon). And a pretty good selection of molds, pots and toys to make 2-7 lb cheeses. I seem to like my hard cheeses such as Cheddars, British hard cheese, Asiago and Parmesans. But I also make a mean Camembert and working on my blues for softer cheeses. Waiting for my larger tomme and large molds to get into the Alpine cheeses (tommes and emmental). Already have my second Gruyere in the cave now.

I own my own Jersey/Brown Swiss cross cow that is being cared for by my farmer friend and I collect my raw milk for my dairy projects (butter, cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, drinking milk/coffee cream) twice a week. She is soooo cute ! (pictures to follow)

My other hobbies include travel and I'm a master scuba diver. I'm an Electronics engineer by degree but currently am an IT server systems and networking consultant. Prior to my electronics career I completed my chef and retail meat cutting apprentiship hence my love of food! I am just getting into charcuterie and meat smoking.

I'm going to my first artisan cheese festival next month... Can't wait! Been to many food, cheese and wine shows and love them ...

Enough about me, let's hear about you ! Hope to meet you all  O0

Duntov

Re: Greetings from Toronto Ontario....
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 08:18:15 AM »
Welcome Fritz!  I too am new to the forum and have found the members to be very informative and helpful.  You will enjoy the experience for sure!

That is quite a diverse resume you have.  Maybe you can give me advise on how to get my Synology server credentials fixed so my Windows 10 (ugh) network will play nice with it.  lol

Again, welcome!!

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 08:37:44 AM »
Welcome on board, Fritz.
That is a pretty impressive range of cheeses for starters.
I'll look forward to hear more details of your cheese adventures as they unfold.
- Andrew

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 02:34:14 PM »
where's the pics??
Oh, and welcome to the forum ;D
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

john H

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 03:26:00 PM »
Welcome Fritz I am just down the road from you in Hamilton. Is that the Great Canadian Cheese Festival in Picton you are going to?

John

P.S. Pic are a must here ;)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 02:56:03 AM »
And welcome as well from me.  We really do love photos of cheese and related Dairy paraphernalia. 

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 03:26:31 PM »
Hi Guys, and thanks for the warm welcome :)

Duntov: Server authentication issues are getting more and more crazy and out of hand as world evolves, just keep repeating to yourself "nothing is ever easy...nothing is ever easy..."  Google some more and it will surely work itself out. Good to meet you.

Raw Prawn, hi Andrew... I think I skipped the "easy cheeses" (mozzarella....pfffft) and just followed the recipes...what could possibly go wrong? Right? Lol... I bought a lot of books and did the reading, research and you tubing to feel quite comfortable so far making my edible experiments :) science rules! Lol

H-K-J ... I figured you guys seen your share of cheese shots ... I showed some ladies pics of my firm curd and just got slapped... Haha... I'll get over that and post some along the way ...  I honestly didn't take too many pics of my earlier cheeses... But glad to share what I have.

Hey Hamilton John, hello... I pass by your way often.. Going to my Lake Erie and Ontario Dive sites, and also to Wine country and the US border by Niigara Falls or Buffalo... Picking up my packs of fine white powder that the Border Security look at me suspicious like " s-u-r-e It's cheese culture.... Please stand over there for further processing" AND YES! The Great Canadian Cheese Festival http://cheesefestival.ca/ is where I'm going June 4th and 5th..... Are you going too?

Hi Mal ! Good to meet you too... I seen your recent cheese posts..thanks for sharing... One day, I strive to earn
respectable cheese level merits as you "old cheese" dudes have :) ... I'm guessing your winter is coming on soon... Great time to make cheeses!