Author Topic: First Camembert (s)  (Read 1651 times)

ezabel

First Camembert (s)
« on: May 15, 2016, 09:02:30 PM »
Time on hand, and milk to spare, so started on a little cheese making mission.
4 camemberts salted and waiting for some mould to appear!!

Kern

Re: First Camembert (s)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 04:09:41 AM »
Takes about 5 days to start to show up at 55F, 90% RH.  Cams should be fully covered and ready for wrapping and cold fridge in 10-11 days.

ezabel

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 09:20:36 PM »
Day 3 and a nice surface mold starting to appear on all cams.  Turning them every other day and wiping out containers at same time. 

ezabel

A Tale of 2 Cams
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 11:40:58 PM »
So I have 8 cams growing mould in my converted fridge.  Same batch just different storage container types. All proceeded identically till about day 5.
4 cheeses were in  a Tupperware Smart Vege container which has a ridged bottom and a couple of breather vents which i had both vents opened.  The second batch were on a raised, sterislised sushi mat in a tupperware cake container, which I had left the lid just a little open.  Both lots have been turned, handled identically.  From day 6 though some very differing things started to happen.  The "Smart" cheeses exploded in growth on their rinds and developed a very heady aroma to them.  This dissappated after airing them for about 15 minutes before wrapping and they are now in a cold fridge.  The other 4 have been a little problematic.  Mould growth stopped, no aroma, and the rind has taken on what I have seen referred to as a "slipped skin" on this forum.  Rather textured and slightly damp to the touch.
I have now transferred these into the smart container to see if I can rescue them, or at least get some surface mould to grow.  Below are the pictures of Chalk and Cheese ;D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 12:55:44 AM by ezabel »

ezabel

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 06:04:25 AM »
Opened the first of the Cams.  Then the boys came in.  The pictures tell the story ;D

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 10:08:46 AM »
Is this really only 16 days old?
I am surprised because I expect Camemberts to be good at around 7 weeks.
Still, what does the age matter if it's good cheese and that does look good. Have a cheese from me because who am I to argue with "The Boys".
Which ones did you open?
- Andrew

ezabel

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 10:25:06 AM »
Hi Andrew.  Yes to the 16 days.  Nice paste around the rind and i'm guessing further aging will allow that paste to go more into the centre (if the boys allow them to sit there uneaten that long)  This was one of the ones that developed the nice white mold covering early.  The odd textured cheese eventually developed the mold on the outer, but not as strongly as the one just eaten and are currently in the cold fridge.

I used Neil and Carole Willman's Home Cheesemaking book for the recipe, and they say to put into humid environment for 8-10 days then wrap and store for another 1 or 2 weeks, so whilst this is right at the extreme of just being ready, the proof was in the eating.  I'm guessing by the time my sons get to the last of them, it'll be out nearer to 5 or 6 weeks of aging.

Thanks for the cheese!!!