Author Topic: Wayne's Commercial Fridge Cheese Cave  (Read 12604 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: Wayne's Commercial Fridge Cheese Cave
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 11:09:13 PM »
A friend of mine used to own a summer camp that was handed down from his father. He slaughtered a pig and kept it in the commercial freezer in the cafeteria and the freezer went out, he didn't know for weeks until the smell hit. This story is John's fault for mentioning deer hanging.

Caise-bodach

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 03:45:46 AM »
Oh thanks Cartierusm, now there's a visual I could have done without.   Nice new cave though.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 06:37:59 AM »
Just remember I'm not the one who bought used morgue equipment. ;)

wharris

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 07:18:56 PM »
I modified the new Cheese cave. 
I replaced the old thermostat (32-40deg F) with my new external thermostat (40-90deg F).  I simply took the other thermostat out, and hard-wired the existing leads to my new thermostat.  The new one almost looks factory installed!

This is a forced air fridge with the blower on top.  The Evaporator coils are actually on top of the fridge. Air is blown over the coils and back down into the fridge.  I'm a little concerned that my humidity is still around 90% inside.  I kinda figured that it would be in the 50% range (or lower).  But the unit has only been on an hour.

wharris

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 02:49:11 AM »
Finally
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 03:03:33 AM by Wayne Harris »

thegregger

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 03:14:59 AM »
Wayne:

Nice work, very well done.  Post a pic when it's full of cheddar!

Greg H.

Cheese Head

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2009, 11:45:38 AM »
Wayne, it really does look great, and lots of room to grow!

wharris

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2009, 12:39:01 PM »
Thanks,
I was noticing that my wheels do look wholly inadequate.  I need some Carter sized wheels.  (that is in the plan.)

But I am a bit concerned about humidity.  It is currently in the the 75%-90% range.  A lot more than i thought it would be. 
I wonder why my normal refridgerator is about 30% RH, and this is higher. 

Both are forced air.  This new one's evaporator coils are on top, and the condensation from that coil is drained away... 

I am not sure if I should be concerned yet.  I picked up a wedge of that cheese in the previous picture and it was a tad damp, like a light dew had fallen on it.  The good news is that this refrigerator is not actually dripping on the cheese as had been the case with my converted freezer.

I would really love some of yours, and others thoughts on this.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2009, 07:32:43 PM »
Hmmm. As long as the coils are not dripping like they were with my coiled freezer or yours then it can be worked with. The damp on the cheese is a concern. Allergies have been killing me and I took a bendryl this morning so I'm totally useless, it makes me stupid, but I'll have a think on it. Can you take some pics of the coil assembly and on the inside where the vent to the fan and coils are. I can't think straight, but I think you know what I mean. I want pics of anything to do with the cooling and how it is opened up into the main chamber.

wharris

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2009, 07:57:02 PM »
Carter,  I hope you feel better soon. 
When you are feeling human again, you can look at this. Here is the manual. Page 2 has the component layout.

In summary, all the gear is on top.  Both the condenser coil, and evaporator coils are on top of the box. Fans draw air in from the box below through slots in the top of the box, through the evaporator coils, then back into the box below through more slots. There is a pan under the evaporator coil to collect any collecting water and it drains away. This is closed circuit.

I have to go to a birthday party, but will take pictures of these components when I return.

thebelgianpanda

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 12:19:32 AM »
Your cave makes my cave feel wholly inadequate :)
Great find, I hope it works out since it looks so impressive.

wharris

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2009, 12:22:38 AM »
Thanks.

I never did take any further pictures.  But the humidity has lowered, leveled out and stabilized at about 55%.

I can deal with that.  And it has, so far,  behaved PERFECTLY.

I am so very happy.

Again, this was a shot in the dark EBAY purchase.  I got this for a steal.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2009, 03:48:56 AM »
Sure is purdy Wayne!