Author Topic: Colby - a question...  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Bernardsmith

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
Colby - a question...
« on: May 17, 2016, 03:07:27 PM »
I started a Colby last night and I have a question. I found one recipe that suggests the addition of salt to the milled curds. I found another recipe that makes no mention of any added salt but does suggest that I brine the cheese for 8 hours. My newbie question: is brining another way to add salt to the cheese itself so that if I were to add salt to the curds before pressing I should not brine and if I intend to brine I should not add salt? Thanks.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: Colby - a question...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 03:14:03 PM »
Yes you got it, if you are brining, the cheese will absorb the salt and of course if you add it to the curds it's already there.
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Bernardsmith

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 05:43:49 PM »
Thanks H-K-J. So is one method preferred over the other for different types of cheese and if so what are the criteria that I should consider to determine whether this or that cheese is brined or salted? Thanks

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 06:54:24 PM »
most recipes will specify one or the other, they don't, as a norm, contradict in most cases.
but you have found the exception, someone will (I hope) jump in at this point just to explain the appropriate protocol for a colby.
I have not made one yet, or, make one with a brine and one by salting the curd  , see which way you prefer ???

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 08:01:09 PM »
Salting before pressing is one strategy to put the brakes on the starter bacteria to control acidification. For example, with a cheddar, the point is to get the acid levels to where you want them, then salt to slow down acid production. Colby uses a different strategy of "washing the curds" by removing whey (and a large portion of the lactose) and replacing with water. This limits the food for the bacteria and keeps the cheese from becoming too acidic. After pressing, Colby is brined for flavoring and to partially dehydrate the surface to initiate rind production.

Offline Bernardsmith

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 12:32:52 AM »
Ah, Sailor Con Queso. This is very helpful. As an amateur wine maker and brewer I much prefer principles and processes to recipes. Thanks.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 03:09:07 PM »
Salting before pressing is one strategy to put the brakes on the starter bacteria to control acidification. For example, with a cheddar, the point is to get the acid levels to where you want them, then salt to slow down acid production. Colby uses a different strategy of "washing the curds" by removing whey (and a large portion of the lactose) and replacing with water. This limits the food for the bacteria and keeps the cheese from becoming too acidic. After pressing, Colby is brined for flavoring and to partially dehydrate the surface to initiate rind production.
thanks Sailor that is the best explanation I have seen on the use of salt in cheese, other than taste, that explains a lot, that now will be on my mind as I make any cheese