Author Topic: I search a cheese like this  (Read 1133 times)

louai

I search a cheese like this
« on: May 25, 2016, 08:02:27 PM »
Hello everyone.

Can you please help me to find a cheese like this? this is the middle eastern akawi cheese. But i can't find any recipe in detail specialy how to make this cheese have that texture en stretchy and full of flavor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLwNtD8wNL4

Maybe you know a sort of similar cheese and have the recipe?

thank you
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 08:09:48 PM by louai »

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
Re: I search a cheese like this
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 11:52:39 PM »
There is an old thread on this topic here.
You could also try this website.
- Andrew

louai

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 05:23:21 PM »
Thank you,

I have a time ago tried this methods with no luck, still i don't know that is the factor that makes the cheese so elastic and stretchy when get hot.

Offline Bernardsmith

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 08:18:36 PM »
Looking at the recipes for Akkawi , they suggest that vinegar or lemon juice be added to increase the acidity of the milk. Does that preclude the use  of cheese cultures rather than vinegar? Wouldn't the addition of vinegar prevent the cheese from "aging" (as would boiling the milk in some recipes) Is there any reason not to use a culture to reduce the pH? Or does this question show the newness of my entry into cheese making?   

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 01:12:16 AM »
Adding vinegar or lemon juice is a quicker way to acidify milk and is typically used in fresh cheeses that are not aged. It doesn't necessarily preclude using a culture instead. Mozzarella is a prime example. It can be acidified using acid (i.e. "30 min. mozzarella") or by using a culture.

Susan

Offline Bernardsmith

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 01:31:40 PM »
Thanks Susan. I started a batch of Akkawi last night and again my lack of experience in cheese making shone through. The recipes I found suggested that you allow the whey to drain but none speak to the amount of time it should drain for  before you place the cheese in the press. Wikipedia suggests that the texture is similar to Feta or Mozzarella but Feta is drained for about 8 hours (more or less) and Mozzarella does not need to be drained ... so if a recipe advises you to "drain the whey" is there some rule of thumb that you use to determine how long you need to let the cheese drip?

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 11:12:15 AM »
Hi Bernardsmith,
Usually draining is simply getting rid of "most" of the loose whey. The pressing will take care of the leftover loose whey. Traditionally, one would not want the curds to get cold before pressing, so that tells me not more than a few minutes, if it does require more time to drain, I put the strainer over the still warm pot and cover it... Or pull the corners up of your cheese cloth/butter muslin and hang it in the pot using a dowel or cooking spoon. Most of your draining knowledge will come from experience and reading cheese making tutorials. Each cheese type will have its unique needs. Our job as cheese makers is simply to give the specific cheese all it needs until it's ready to eat.

Offline Bernardsmith

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 01:18:08 PM »
Thanks Fritz, Really useful information... The kitchen where I make my cheese is around 75F these days so I am not sure if that is considered too cold for pressing given that the curds may be cooked at about 40 or 50 F higher .
And to return to the original issue - of Akkawi cheese. I made a batch and while I cannot compare how my batch tastes to more authentic indigenous versions, my wife thought that it was really tasty. Seems to me that this is like a middle eastern version of a feta. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 01:24:16 PM by Bernardsmith »