Author Topic: Pont l'Eveque #4  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Pont l'Eveque #4
« on: May 26, 2016, 03:13:26 PM »
Following my "3 cheeses from 1 vat" posting, I decided to give this little cheese its own thread.

Tomorrow marks the third week and I noticed a little skin wrinkling from the Geo so I decided to go ahead and wrap these and move them to colder storage to continue slower ripening.

I haven't used this cheese paper much in the past. I originally bought it from iratherfly.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Pont l'Eveque #4
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 05:56:10 AM »
This cheese is just past its 9th week. There is a slight not-quite-creamy core surrounded by oozy goodness. The over-achieving Geo growth is apparent. The cheese accompanies apple slices deliciously.

The Petit Pont l'Eveque is a little past its prime, with the rind drying significantly. The cheese was kept in its paper and box until serving time, but the cheese paper can't perform miracles and the cheese eventually gave up its moisture.

PLE #4 was a little thicker than it probably should have been, but the end result was still enjoyable. :P

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 01:31:24 AM »
Boofer...awesome! Looks good in the pictures... So the rind was not edible ? Sounds like the cheese paper wasn't quite the right tool .. Vac pac maybe next time ?  A cheese for your efforts, making our cheese efforts easier for the future. Thanks!
F

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 10:19:49 PM »
Thanks Fritz.

No, there are a number of cheese rinds that I do enjoy. This wasn't one of them.:o

The cheese paper normally does a decent job of protecting the cheese, allowing it to breathe and age gracefully. I have been backing off my cheese consumption over the past several months (Say it isn't so! :-\) and so the wrapped cheeses have languished. Some may have overshot their optimal moment.

I took a clue from commercial cheeses I have sampled and now wrap cut wedges in plastic wrap prior to vacuum-sealing them for longer-term storage. The plastic wrap contains the cheese and makes for a more elegant unwrapping when the time comes to eat the cheese. This has worked well for my blues, Cams, and washed rinds. The blues and washed rinds quite often come with some residual moisture and the plastic wrap keeps it all together. It also stops the blue development in, for instance, Fourme d'Ambert.

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!