Author Topic: Need advice using Manchego mould  (Read 1704 times)

Lavanta

Need advice using Manchego mould
« on: May 27, 2016, 02:39:54 AM »
I have purchased a manchego/iberico/hispanico mould to make those pretty looking Spanish cheeses that I see some of you folks are making. The inner piece with the pattern is very tightly sitting inside the outer piece.  I had to pry it out with a screw driver just to wash it.  If I try to press cheese in there I don't think I can take it out in one piece.  What is the recommended method for using this mould? Do I need to put some sort of lubricant in between, like butter or some other food safe oil?  I really don't want to use a cheesecloth.

Thanks
Levent

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Need advice using Manchego mould
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 03:05:49 PM »
I explained this to another member that bought this mold.  You will have to remove the inner liner and shave some material off of the curved edge so it closes up enough to fit loosely into the mold.  If you don't it will never come out of the mold once the cheese is pressed in.  I used a sanding drum in a Dremel motor to sand mine down but there are many ways of cutting it back including the careful use of a sharp knife.  Make sure you follow the curve so the two ends still match up when you are done.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 03:16:49 PM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Lavanta

Re: Need advice using Manchego mould
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 03:03:16 PM »
Thank you Al.  I will go at it with Dremel.  I think I will also drill four small holes at the bottom perimeter of the outer shell just where the sleeve sits, in case I have to tap it out.

Levent