Author Topic: Red Leicester #1  (Read 1564 times)

ezabel

Red Leicester #1
« on: May 27, 2016, 05:10:28 AM »
I wanted to try to make a Cheddar style cheese, and the idea of the Red Leicester appealed to me, simply because the colouring sounded unique.  Well it is :o
The whole time making it, it just looked.................different :-\  5ml of Annatto for 10 litres of milk.
I can see why people invest in a cheddaring mill though.  Breaking up the curd mat using fingers and thumbs to get it to a small consistency was just a little laborious before the salting stage.  In the press for it's final time at the moment, and overall I'm very happy with the outcome.  Going to make another Caerphilly though, as the first ones nearly all gone, and I loved the short waiting time to eat it :D

Offline cheddarbob

• Cheese mad!
  • Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Hi all! I am a cheese fan of course...
    • Fine Cheese
Re: Red Leicester #1
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 10:05:28 AM »
Looks great, how did it taste? I never tried making red Leicester!

ezabel

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 06:01:55 PM »
I'll let you know in 6 months.  Planning on opening it then for a first sample.

ksk2175

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 06:43:28 PM »
That looks awesome.  My profile pic is of a Leicester I made with raw milk back in January and I havent tried it yet. A couple weeks will be 6 months and I will try it then.  Fingers crossed.

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 07:12:44 AM »
Looks yummy :) Who's recipe did you use ezabel and ksk?

Good luck to you both... send some this way :)

F

ezabel

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 10:25:00 AM »
Hi Fritz.  I used the Home Cheesemaking (2nd Edition) by Neil and Carole Willman for the recipe.
This is an Australian book.  Was basically a Cheddar with Annatto added.  I can send you the recipe if you want, or post it here if there's interest.  It'll be a few days though.  Long Weekend here this weekend and I'm off fishing :)