Author Topic: Camembert #2  (Read 3817 times)

ksk2175

Re: Camembert #2
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 02:01:53 PM »
Im amazed at how far this came in only 4 weeks .... ?

I actually like Cams a little less runny but it was still very delicious ... very earthy, nutty, and hints of that mushroom pungency.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 06:46:02 PM »
Well done - another C4U!
-- Andy

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 07:45:35 AM »
Four weeks is, in my experience, pretty quick for a Camembert.
If it is a bit more runny than you'd like (shades of Monty Python creeping in here), you might try aging them longer and at a lower temperature, such as your ordinary fridge.
- Andrew

ksk2175

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 07:18:46 PM »
Four weeks is, in my experience, pretty quick for a Camembert.
If it is a bit more runny than you'd like (shades of Monty Python creeping in here), you might try aging them longer and at a lower temperature, such as your ordinary fridge.
Yeah thats just it Andrew ... these things were started on 5-28-16.  Thats when I poured the milk.  I wrapped them and put them into my 38f  (3-4c)regular fridge at day 8 which was 6-5-16 and tried and cut the one on 6-26-16 and got the softness in the pictures.  Now what I think happened is I took this one out and put it in my 55f cave for two full days, then out on the counter for a couple hours.  Maybe that is why it softened up so much but it still tasted delicious.  The rest are still in the fridge and this weekend will be 5 weeks.  I will try another one but less time at 55f I think and see how it comes out.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2016, 05:57:05 PM »
Hey Ken, the quick ripening and extreme ooziness might well be the Geo13 at work.

I recently did my first Cam, misted with PC/Geo13, and had early quick ripening @ 6 weeks. We both might benefit from excluding the Geo next time around. ;)

Nice clear pics...have a cheese. :D

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.