Author Topic: Second Caerphilly  (Read 2661 times)

ezabel

Second Caerphilly
« on: May 31, 2016, 06:14:51 AM »
The first of these I made has been consumed already :o, and really appreciating the speed of which it's ready, I made a second one today. 
Recipe is as follows:

1)   Boil jug and put 20mls of water aside to cool.
2)   Take 10 litres of the finest Friesian milk you can source (I use Runnymede milk!) and slowly bring up to 32 degrees C.  Put 4 litres hot tap water in chilly bin
3)   Place milk (still inside the pot) into chilly bin with thermometer and hold at 32C. Add  1 packet of Mad Milly’s Mesophilic Starter Culture (or 200mls if you’ve prepared a culture) to the milk and mix in well for a couple of minutes
4)   Leave to ripen for 30 minutes
5)   Add 2ml of rennet to the 20ml of cooled water, mix, then slowly pour this into the milk as you stir.  Continue stirring for 2 minutes.
6)    At 40 minutes test for a clean cut of the curd.
7)   Cut the curd into 1cm cubes and allow to stand for 5 minutes before stirring.
8)   Stir the curd gently and regularly for 15 minutes making sure to maintain the temp around 32C. 
9)   Start adding more hot water to the chilly bin water (NOT THE CURD/WHEY MIX) whilst stirring CONTINUOUSLY for 15 minutes to bring temp of curds/whey to 35C
10)   Once at 35C, continue to stir CONTINUOUSLY for a further 15 minutes.  (This means at the end of step 10, you should now have a sore shoulder and be bored silly, as you have been stirring for 30 minutes continuously!!!!!!!
11)   Allow the curd to settle (NO MORE STIRRING!!!) for 30 minutes to let acidity develop.  Run the whey off
12)   Pile curds to one side of the pot to allow whey to drain.  Keep moving from one side of pot to the other as you drain any whey the comes out off.  Keep doing this for 30 minutes.
13)   Take the curd out of the pot (it should resemble a loaf of bread at this point as the curds have knitted together) Cut into slices an inch or so thick and stack on one side of pot.  Keep an eye out and run off any whey that come out.  Continue to allow to acidify at this point for 45 minutes.
14)   Cut the slices into inch cubes.  Place back into pot, then sprinkle 10gms of non-iodised salt  (1 gm per litre milk used) over the curds, mixing around with your hand as you do so.
15)   Place curds into cloth lined cheese mould and press very gently for 30 minutes.  Remove from mould, turn over, then press with slightly more pressure for an hour.  Turn and more pressure for 2 hours checking knit as you do so.
16)   Press overnight.  If knit at last stage is poor, then screw it right down, otherwise just slightly more pressure than what you last used.
17)   Next morning, remove from press and mould and place formed cheese into a cool 20% brine solution for 12 hours.  Remember to turn it when you think about it.
18)   Remove cheese from brine and air dry on rack for 2-3 days.
19)   Store at 11-15 degrees.  This cheese should be ready after 10 days

I knew from the moment I took the whey off that I had a huge amount of curd there, so now i'm wondering if maybe I accidentally put 11 litres of milk in to start.  Either way, I've ended up with a 2.125kg cheese, which has a nice firm feel to it.  Happy camper!!

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
Re: Second Caerphilly
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 10:31:28 AM »
That looks great ezabel! You reminded me of my first Caerphilly because the ridges in the cheese, from the mold, has a distinctive Mad Millie press look to it ...much like mine had. (although I seen you use a non Mad Millie press in the pics). I've since moved on to Dutch presses. I'll join your Caerphilly adventure this week, and make one too :)

ezabel

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 06:57:36 PM »
Hi Fritz.  It is indeed a Mad Millie mold.  Ive borrowed  this one from a friend :), though if you look under the cheese cloth on the 2nd pic you'll see it's held togethor with insulation tape, so I get an interesting bulge on the (Dark Side of the) cheese!.  My first Caerphilly was made using a Mad Millie hard cheese bullet mold, but these are no longer sold in NZ for lack of demand and for some reason my friend wanted that one back.  I've just invested in a Kadova type mold which hasn't arrived yet. 

I enjoy the quick turnaround from make to eat with this type cheese, as i've a few others that I can let age out and resist the urge to open whilst enjoying the Caerphilly and hopefully won't have to buy a general "in the fridge at all times" cheese again.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 04:03:56 AM by ezabel »

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 03:05:50 AM »
That's awesome ! ... Thanks for sharing the recipe ... I should make it in the Mad Millie press, Just for ol times sake :)

ezabel

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 01:19:18 AM »
So opened this for lunch today.  Once again it hit the spot.  This is certainly going to be my "go to" cheese for just general eating from the fridge.  So quick to mature and easily replaces the factory processed edams and mild cheddars we had been buying.

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 03:42:16 AM »
That looks yummy, ezabel... Congrats and a cheese for you :)

Thanks for the follow-up

wattlebloke

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 10:40:51 AM »
Hi Ezabel, you make this cheese sound so easy and yummy! never felt the need to make one before, but I will now. AC4U for the inspiration :)
Had to laugh when I was reading the recipe, and got to the reference to 'chilly bin', and thought, 'this maker has to be a Kiwi!!'...says the Aussie with his yoghurt quietly ripening in the Esky.
What do other people call these indispensable items?

ezabel

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 11:43:46 AM »
Coolers I think Wattlebloke.  Saw it the other day also when a fellow kiwi was putting his cheese into his hot water cupboard and some of  the northern hemisphere people were "the what???"

But i'm about to seek repose under my DUVET, so i'll leave you to your esky and doona  :)

Good luck with the caerphilly though.  Its quite simple, and as I say, the real beauty is that you get an edible cheese really quickly.  Yes it's mild, but it's still homemade, and allows you to resist the temptation of opening those ones you know should really be left to age ::)

jwalker

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 01:43:20 PM »
That looks great , never made a Caerphilly , but will do this one soon , especially now that I know what a "chilly bin" is. ;D

And yes , it was me in the other thread that was asking what a "hot water cupboard" is. :-[

Like I said , I'm just now learning to speak New Zealish , a cheese to you for the inspiration. ;D

DoctorCheese

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 06:54:49 PM »
I am going to copy your recipe today, but I have to let mine age a little longer because of the raw milk. Also, I am doing a natural mold rind.