Author Topic: Jeffs Semi-lactic blue  (Read 3374 times)

AnnDee

Re: Jeffs Semi-lactic blue
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2016, 05:56:03 AM »
I made this last week, my oh my it took time to drain!
I put a little cream in that I collected (too little to be made into butter), and I used raw milk.
What do you think if I spray PC on it now? Will it become camblue type cheese?

JeffHamm

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2016, 09:46:48 PM »
Hi Ann,

Yes, it can take days to drain!  I was still getting whey puddling on the plate 4 or 5 days after putting it in the mould.  If you've got some blue going, and you've pierced it to get the blue inside, then you could spray some PC on as well and see how it goes.  You want the PC to grow very slowly, though, or it will develop slip skin, so once the PC is established you probably want to move to quite a cold environment; regular fridge but keep humidity up let's say.

Maybe start a thread on your version.  Would love to see your notes and photos to see how it turns out.  Should be a neat experiment.

JeffHamm

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 06:38:36 PM »
This got left out when I was airing it one morning, so it sat on the counter all day.  This resulted in too rapid growth of the mould, and it feels like slip skin has developed.  Sigh.  Anyway, have wrapped it and moved to the regular fridge to slow things down.  As you can see, the faces haven't quite developed mould yet as the cheese sits on them.  Hopefully, though, the blue will develop in the holes over the next couple weeks and, after draining the liquid blanket, the rest will be tasty.