Author Topic: Sous vide DIRECTLY in milk  (Read 6921 times)

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Sous vide DIRECTLY in milk
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2016, 01:55:25 PM »
If you don't mind sharing, where did you purchase the heating element and the poly tank? Thanks again

Poly tank - any farm supply store like Southern States
Heating element - local plumbing supply or lumber store. However 6000w is not common and they may have to order it

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2016, 01:59:40 PM »
Is it something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004NCW2H0?pc_redir=T1
Very similar. You will need to be able to add a drain to remove water. And you will need to be able to mount the heating element. Some stock tanks come with holes and/or flat surfaces to accommodate plumbing.

mjr522

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2016, 02:48:18 PM »
Sailor's method is very good--I got to see it first hand a couple of years ago. An option that I use that takes up less space (though it costs a lot more) is using adhesive heating pads, like these: http://www.omega.com/pptst/SRFR_SRFG.html, directly onto the pot holding the milk. My experience has been the 10 watts/in^2 pads do not scald the milk even when left alone (I generally give mine a stir or two while it's heating). The pads themselves have never overheated, and I don't have the volume of milk over again in hot water to deal with. I do 10 gallon batches, 15 a couple of times, and things work well. I use a controller to turn the pads on and off to maintain temp. I manually turn them off once the rennet is added, and turn them back on once the curd is cut. Just another thought to consider if space is more of a premium than initial cost...

amiriliano

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2016, 04:53:51 PM »
Sailor - thank you very much for your help here. Truly appreciated.

Mike, thank you also. Your link doesn't seem to be working. Do you have another?

TY !

amiriliano

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2016, 04:57:22 PM »
Mike - I found it. This is VERY interesting. Do you have a picture of your set up? Specifically I'm wondering what adhesive you used and how everything is hooked up electrically.

Thank you!

mjr522

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2016, 08:21:49 PM »
I do somewhere...I'll find and post them when I get home.

amiriliano

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2016, 08:31:07 PM »
Thank Mike. It would help me greatly.

mjr522

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2016, 09:39:51 PM »
The heating pads I bought came with adhesive already attached (looks like they call it PSA pressure sensitive adhesive).

I don't have a single picture that shows the whole setup, so I'll try to tell the story with a few pictures.
Here's the first one:

You can see that the heating pads are wired together, and connect to a white cord. That white cord is just an extension cord that I cut up for this.

Now you can see that the white cord comes from the pads and one wire connects to a relay. The other wire reconnects to the extension cord that plugs into the wall. Had I thought through what I was doing better, I would have only cut one of the wires on the extension cord and put the relay between the two sides of that cut wire. Does that make sense?

One the other side of the relay, a set of wires are connected to a PID controller (it looks like I'm sterilizing stuff in this picture since my temp is set to 180 F). Those wires turn the relay on and off. Another set of wires leaves the controller and connects to the extension cord--those just power the controller. Another brown wire leaves the controller--that's the thermocouple that goes in the milk. I got that from omega, too.

Here's another view:

Is that clear?

amiriliano

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2016, 05:25:23 PM »
Extremely helpful. Thank you. Now I have to figure out how much surface area I need to cover to increase milk and curd temp at a reasonable rate.