Author Topic: I'm a grand-cow I guess  (Read 4136 times)

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 17
  • Default personal text
I'm a grand-cow I guess
« on: June 07, 2016, 01:17:45 AM »
My jersey cross holstein just had her seventh calf ( counting a set of twins). It looks nothing like her but it has the same jersey attitude.

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
Re: I'm a grand-cow I guess
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 11:29:15 AM »
Hey Chetty ...  Congratulations ! And looks awesome, calfs are so cute at the "all legs" stage... I also have a family cow and need to consider calfing her again. What is the maximum time allowable between Jersey calfing for decent milk production?  I rather milk my family cow than having more calfs, but understand its best to allow the cow to calf for milk productivity.

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 17
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 04:44:32 AM »
This old girl runs on her own schedule.  She calves once a year and milks for probably ten months.  On the dairy we calve them out,  and if it is a good cow she will usually be rebred within three months.  Then we milk them till they are seven months pregnant at that time we dry them up so the can have some rest before they calve.  I think a normal cow would start to lose milk production after a year of milking without calving.  But on the dairy we have one Cow that only calves once every 4 years.  She gives milk but not tons by any means.  Hope this helps in some way. 

More cow pics just for fun

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 05:33:27 AM »
Very much so, thanks... It's still my first year owning one, lots to learn and read... It's like being a daddy to a non verbal alien .... Again ...

Don't these things come with owners manuals !?

valley ranch

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 07:33:39 PM »
Yep, congratulations on the little one.

They pick the oddest times to be born don't they?