Author Topic: in a nutshell cheese melting  (Read 3706 times)

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
Re: in a nutshell cheese melting
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2016, 05:40:53 AM »
Glad that worked out :) the extra salt would be a good idea for the goat milk ... Enjoy :)

MrsKK

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 03:07:52 PM »
I'm glad it turned out well for you, Steff!

klschnepp

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 10:00:15 AM »
It will not be true for all cheeses, but the recipe you started with should be good with a end pH value from 5.10-5.00.  I personally would not replace the whey with water as no need to stall the acid that much - just whey off 1/3 when scald temperature achieved and then play with what you want to do.  Final whey off around pH 5.25 or a bit lower and salt around 2.2%.  Press is nice, brine not needed and can eat around 30 days. 

Queso Fresco is a good example of a cheese that will not be at this pH value, but still will melt beautifully.    I don't press mine, but if you want a nice dry style, not a bad way to go.  Might try a bit more salt. 

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 09:27:38 AM »
I'm sure it's each person's salt preference ... I like salt ... But 2 tablespoons in 2 lbs cheese is pretty salty .... I actually use 2 tablespoons for my 4 pounders. Keep in mind 2 tbsp fine cheese salt (fine sea salt) does not equal 2 tbsp flaky kosher salt. So let's be sure we are talking about apples or oranges when referring to salt ..I was referring to fine cheese salt in my posted recipe ... Just to be clear.

Now... Back to drain flipping those unruly darn camemberts curds I was working on...

lovinglife

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 07:18:22 PM »
I think I am going to try this with raw goat milk.  My salt is pink Himalayan Sea Salt and I find it not as "salty" as table salt.  I have found I don't enjoy regular table salt anymore now that I am used to the sea salt.  I was surprised there was so much difference in salt!  I am giving up on anything aged very long with the goat milk, I just can't take the goaty flavor with anything over 3 months old so this fresh cheese may be the ticket.  Had good luck with a traditional mozz a few weeks ago with my raw goat milk.  Hope this makes good grilled cheese sandwiches, that is my goal.