Author Topic: How to reach 5.4 ph without ph meter?  (Read 2447 times)

louai

How to reach 5.4 ph without ph meter?
« on: June 09, 2016, 04:04:00 PM »

Hello all,

Can you please tell us how much gram exact citric acid for 1 liter raw cow's milk for making mozzarella?

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: How to reach 5.4 ph without ph meter?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 07:31:16 PM »
Maybe someone else will have a better answer, but ... I would doubt that there is a way to be exact, since it will depend in part on the starting pH of the milk -- and that can vary depending on a variety of factors. :(
-- Andy

Duntov

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 07:55:43 PM »
I agree with Andy.  Too many variables.

louai

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 12:14:45 AM »
I believe what you say and agree with that, but i just wanted know how much you guys often use of citric acid when you make mozzarella? do you add it by feeling or are there rules how many grams you add for 1 liter whole raw milk?

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 09:24:43 PM »
To be honest, I have had very poor results using citric acid to make mozzarella. Actually, like many on this board, I've found that mozzarella is one of the hardest cheeses to make - contrary to the impression that the "30-minute" kits give. I've had the best results using culture and a pH meter.
-- Andy

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 12:10:03 AM »
Here is Mad Millie 's Italian cheese making book ... Inside that is their 30 minute mozzarella recipe..

http://www.madmillie.com/site/madmillie/MM_NZ_UK_Italian%20Kit_Booklet%20lowres.pdf

louai

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 01:27:25 AM »
Here is Mad Millie 's Italian cheese making book ... Inside that is their 30 minute mozzarella recipe..

http://www.madmillie.com/site/madmillie/MM_NZ_UK_Italian%20Kit_Booklet%20lowres.pdf

Thank you for this tip!! and thank you all who have tried to help me guys! ;)

I gonna read that book

valley ranch

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 05:01:06 PM »
Greetings louai, Re: Citric Acid~I use a table spoon for two gallons. After saying that I have to agree with the others who've said many factors. Everything including Table spoon size vary. I've recently had a bit of trouble with the outcome and have noticed that milk from a cow when she becomes pregnant changes the acidity of her milk as does when a freshened cow is transported from our lower spread to our mountain corrals.

I've read on this forum about the use of ph meters. The girls have one they've used for school projects, I'm thinking of using that, I think it can be cleaned up after use.

Good luck, please let us know about how you handle this.

Thanks

Richard

louai

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 01:21:14 AM »
Greetings louai, Re: Citric Acid~I use a table spoon for two gallons. After saying that I have to agree with the others who've said many factors. Everything including Table spoon size vary. I've recently had a bit of trouble with the outcome and have noticed that milk from a cow when she becomes pregnant changes the acidity of her milk as does when a freshened cow is transported from our lower spread to our mountain corrals.

I've read on this forum about the use of ph meters. The girls have one they've used for school projects, I'm thinking of using that, I think it can be cleaned up after use.

Good luck, please let us know about how you handle this.

Thanks

Richard

Hello Richard,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I really appreciate your responses guys and yes you are right that there is many factors what effect the targeted results. For that reason i'm going to buy a ph meter too. I have read that a ph meter makes the job very easier

Richard: do you know if any ph meter with atc funcion will gonna work for making cheese? one like this for example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Digital-Ph-Meter-Tester-Hydroponics-Pen-Aquarium-Pool-Water-Test-ATC-UK-/152064861186?hash=item2367c5a402:g:2RMAAOSwlfxXGyuy

Kern

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 10:06:21 PM »
The pH meter shown in the link above looks like the electrodes are designed for measuring the pH of liquids only.  For cheesemakiing you need to have a meter that measures both liquids (milk) and solids (curds).  The curd measurements are the most critical.  For this you need something like this one.  The $100 price seems high compared to the $15 meters but you will find that the Extech is both accurate and repeatable.  You simply are not going to get quality for much less than this.  In addition to the meter you will need to get some pH 4.0 and pH 7.0 buffer solution to calibrate your meter.  The Extech measures both liquids and curds.

louai

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 02:09:59 AM »
The pH meter shown in the link above looks like the electrodes are designed for measuring the pH of liquids only.  For cheesemakiing you need to have a meter that measures both liquids (milk) and solids (curds).  The curd measurements are the most critical.  For this you need something like this one.  The $100 price seems high compared to the $15 meters but you will find that the Extech is both accurate and repeatable.  You simply are not going to get quality for much less than this.  In addition to the meter you will need to get some pH 4.0 and pH 7.0 buffer solution to calibrate your meter.  The Extech measures both liquids and curds.

Thank you for this information!

for example, suppose the meter indicates a value of 4.3 ph of the curds, in that case can you still change the ph of the curds to maybe 5.3?

Is There a possibility to use the cheape meter for making the following cheese recipe?

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php?topic=3653.0
This is the way I was taught to make “Jibne’h” for Knafe’h

For a 3 liters batch of raw cow's milk:

1. Pasteurize at 72-74ºC for 15 sec and cool to 42ºC (in a cool environment), or 38ºC (in warm environment), as fast as possible.
2. Add 3 tbs 5% vinegar + 0.8-1 gr CaCl + 3 ts buttermilk + enzyme (per manufacturer's instructions.
3. Let set for 30-60 min until a clean break is achieved.
4. Cut curds to about 1 cm cubes.
5. Wait 8 min.
6. Stir gently and complete cutting.
7. Wait 5 min.
8. Stir again.
9. Wait 3 min.
10. Drain whey to curds level.
11. Transfer curds to two handkerchiefs and close like an envelope.
12. Place the envelopes between two plates or cutting boards and apply 1 kg weight. Turn the envelopes every 15-20 minutes and increase weight gradually (I use a pot with water) up to 3 kg. Do this for 1-1.5 hours until the cheese is firmed up.
13. At this stage, the cheese may be used as is during the next 2-3 days (refrigerated) or stored in salt brine (refrigerated), for up to 6 months.

You can make Haloumi the same way, by putting the pressed cheese in boiled water or whey for 1-2 hours.