Author Topic: Attempt at a Goutaler  (Read 852 times)

ezabel

Attempt at a Goutaler
« on: June 11, 2016, 08:53:09 PM »
New mold, new press, so time for a new cheese.
I notice that most of the cheeses I eat at home, so now like to make, tend to be of the "sweet" variety.  Having been looking around the posts on here I decided for my next cheese I'd try a Goutaler.  The recipe is tweeked from several different recipes I've seen on here.
I've been using a spring type press up until now which has had no gauge as to how much weight I've been putting on and continuously having to undo wing nuts for every turn was annoying.  Especially when they or the washers went flying across the kitchen :o.  I did notice that I got cheese sticking to the cloth at each flip using this dutch style press for the first time, despite it being soaked in the whey first.  The recipe is as follows:

1)   Boil jug and put 20mls of water aside to cool.
2)   Take 10 litres of milk you can source and slowly bring up to 35 degrees C.  Put 4 litres of hot tap water into your chilly bin in preparation for later steps.
3)   Place milk (still inside the pot) into chilly bin with thermometer and hold at 35C. Add  1 packet of Mad Milly’s Aromatic Mesophilic Starter Culture (or 200mls if you’ve prepared a culture) and 1/16th tsp Propionic Shermanii and 1/32nd  Lactobacillus Helveticus to the milk and mix in well for a couple of minutes.
4)   Leave to ripen for 45 minutes.
5)   Add 2.5ml of rennet to the 20ml of cooled water, mix, then slowly pour this into the milk as you stir.  Continue stirring for 2 minutes.
6)   Place milk into chilly bin with thermometer and allow milk to set whilst holding at 35C.  At 40 minutes test for a clean cut of the curd.
7)   Cut the curd into 25mm cubes and allow to stand for 5 minutes before stirring.
8)   Put 2 litres of water on to boil, then allow to cool to 60C.  Short bursts with the element will maintain at this temp.
9)   Stir the curd gently and regularly over the next 30 minutes making sure to maintain the temp around 35C
10)   Allow the curd to settle and ladle off 3 litres of whey.
11)   Cooking the curd: Slowly add the 2 litres of 60C water over 15 minutes to the curd/whey mixture.  By the end of the 15 minutes the curd/whey temp should be up to 38C.  Stir frequently during this stage.
12)   Continue stirring the curd frequently for the next 45 minutes.  The curd should become firmer during the cooking process, so the intensity of the stirring can be increased
13)   Ladle whey off to the point where it just covers the curd.  Collect this whey into a clean container, as you will need it again in Step 14.
14)   Place the mould you are going to use into a container that is higher than the mould itself.  Drape cheesecloth over the top so that it can settle into the mould.  Place/tip the remaining curd and whey into the cheese mould.  If the level of whey does not cover the curd, then use the extra you have ladled off till everything is under the level of whey. 
15)   Cover the curds with the cheesecloth, place the follower on top, then press the curds under the whey for 15 to 20 minutes.  I use a large Agee jar filled with 2 litres of water.  Just watch that the jar doesn’t float off or tip over, as you can get some odd shapes when this happens.
16)   Lift the mould out of the whey,  and carefully turn the pressed curd over, so that the top is now in the bottom of the mould.  Put into your press and apply light pressure for 30 minutes.  Remove from press, turn curd again and press  again for an hour at slightly higher pressure.  I tend to press until I just see whey coming out of the side of the mould.  Repeat this process again at 2 hours.
17)   Press overnight.
18)   Next morning, place your cheese into a cool 20% brine solution for 8 hours.  Turn regularly to get an even distribution of the brine.
19)   Remove from brine and allow to air dry on a rack allowing air circulation, flipping whenever you think about it till the cheese is dry and starting to form a natural rind.  For me this is about 3 days.