Author Topic: A better cheddar day  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 17
  • Default personal text
A better cheddar day
« on: June 15, 2016, 03:48:02 AM »
Having recently found that most of my current attempts for cheese haven't worked as well as I hoped (just found out my rennet is out dated and was messing up everything). I decided to build a cheddar.  Everything went according to plan using Peter Dixon recipe except after making it I realized that i usually mill at 5.5 -5.6 range instead of 5.3 so it is going to be interesting to see what it's like. 

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
Re: A better cheddar day
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 08:46:32 PM »
Out of the press and in the cellar knit isn't perfect but it will have to do.

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 03:01:42 PM »
I'm envious of your cave!  I like the way you are labeling them, too.  I assume you wax the cheese and embed the labels or at least their strings into the wax?

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 01:02:01 AM »
I don't wax at all if I can get away from it.  The tags are pinned to the board.  But I think I might be forced into some waxing because my inspector just informed me that in order to vaccum seal my cheese as packaging I would need an haccp plan another headache I don't want to deal with now. So I am going to either cream coat and wax if I ever sell a whole weel or Plastic wrap for chunks.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 01:10:47 AM by Chetty »

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 02:02:57 AM »
Hey Chetty... They look great! Thanks for sharing your large(r) scale operation pics .... I envy anyone that has a machine that stirs ones curds .... If I think of the hours I stand there ....stirring .....stirring ..... Stirring the other way just to do something different.... Lol

Some of the best and award winning cheddars are bandaged 12-14 months... that will buy you lots of time to please the inspector dude with his petty needs... You can cryovac them then.

Keep up the great work man :)