Author Topic: Raw Milk Gouda  (Read 4494 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Raw Milk Gouda
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 03:25:28 PM »
I thought so. That's why I added the picture  ;)
Tomek, you get points for being so clear in your answers. Have a cheese. :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 01:45:36 AM »
Haha... Too funny...

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 04:30:24 AM »
Am I correct that you are add 170 f water in about 5 minutes or so . Or are you adding for 20 minutes ?   

If it is 5 minutes then that is way too fast and it will case harden the outside of the curd and trap,the whey inside .

I would also use a lower temp,water , as 170 f water could also scald the curds causing the same issue .

Try 130 f   And take about 20 minutes to get up to 100 f from your start temp and see if that helps .

Every thing else seems okay except maybe the pressing weight is a little high .

Gouda is similar to tommes and I make  tommes all the time and my go to recipe  calls for 10 pounds or so as the curd should be molded at 6.2 ph or so and this ph will knit back together very easily .

The curd is ready to mold when it wants to stick together when you squeeze a handful  of curd but can still be separated again into individual curds .

I recommend you look up linuxboys tommes recipe here on the forum and see what he says about why things are done as they are and then see how the 2 types over lap in technique . I suspect a Gouda has a little more washing and a little higher cook temp.

If you can not find it I will see if I can locate it .

valley ranch

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 04:00:39 PM »
This thread is good reading. I want to, in the near future, try a Gouda. I do like that cheese.

Richard

MrsKK

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2016, 01:31:58 PM »
Just to clarify, I did not mean that he shouldn't stir the milk at all once the rennet was added.  Just that 2 minutes is much too long.  I aim for 20-30 seconds of stirring time, "lifting" the milk with the skimmer a few times, then back and forth across the kettle, then lift the milk again a few times and stop.  That is certainly enough stirring to distribute diluted rennet, yet not break up the action of the rennet.

I am not familiar with Celsius temps, now that I see the conversions I agree that the high temp of the wash water probably sealed a lot of whey within the curd.

Offline Tomek

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2016, 09:18:43 AM »
Welcome back.

After 5 months I opened cheese. Looks fine (maybe it is too dry). Smells good. It tastes good - it is not the Old Amsterdam ;).
Thanks for all suggestions.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2016, 06:26:56 PM »
It does look a bit dry, but as long as it tastes good, it IS good! AC4U.
-- Andy

MrsKK

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2016, 06:11:53 PM »
Have you made any more in the meantime?  It always amazes me how quickly a 4 lb wheel of cheese can disappear.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2016, 08:13:24 PM »
Have you made any more in the meantime?  It always amazes me how quickly a 4 lb wheel of cheese can disappear.
  At 1 gallon makes he's not close to 4 pounds.  One pound cheeses go even quicker! ;)  Great critique BTW! ;)
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

MrsKK

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2016, 09:00:18 PM »
 ;D I make 4 lb cheeses and can't keep up, even when I'm making cheese on a frequent basis.  I've got two in the cave right now that are 7 months and I don't want to crack them because I haven't got anything in the pipeline.

However, I just weaned the 6 & 7 month old calves and put new babies on the cow, so I'll be milking once a day until they are big enough to take it all, so cheesemaking, here I come!