Author Topic: triple cream lactic set cheeses  (Read 3473 times)

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
triple cream lactic set cheeses
« on: June 15, 2016, 11:55:49 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with making a high fat (triple cream) lactic cheese similar to the Boursault or MiniDelice from France? 

Im keen to find any tricks to improve drainage without all of the wizzbangary that industrial makers use... Maybe its not possible to make this type of cheese in an artisan set up?

Thanks.

NV.

AnnDee

Re: triple cream lactic set cheeses
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 12:11:33 AM »
I made a triple cream cheese using Jim Wallace's recipe. I'm not sure if this is what you have in mind. The paste was more stable and it didn't get too runny.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 01:53:58 AM »
Thanks Ann.  Where can I find that recipe?

AnnDee

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 09:27:14 AM »

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 05:43:59 AM »
I made a few batches of triple cream Camembert, glad to share my observations...
no stirring obviously but ladling the very soft curd into the butter muslin is the norm... Trick is to get a "perfect" piece of butter muslin... One that drains quick enough and without loosing curd. I find they come in various qualities and drain characteristics. Some Butter muslin are too tight of a weave ..once you find a good one ..buy lots and keep it handy just for This type of fine drainage. Drain by hanging and slowly twist the bag and rest on side of pot (used to catch the draining whey) so as to not untwist, aiding the long draining process.
 I recommend: Leave curds in molds a long time ... The extra soft cheese will have a tendency to have elephant feet fresh out of the mold...sagging and barrel squatting .. Just flip them often often.

Good luck....hope this helps with your cheese type.

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 10:22:34 PM »
I made a triple cream cheese using Jim Wallace's recipe. I'm not sure if this is what you have in mind. The paste was more stable and it didn't get too runny.

I agree with using Jim Wallace's recipe for Triple Cream.  Triple Cream has always been one of our favorite cheeses, so I was very happy when I found his recipe worked very well.  The piéce de résistance came when a Frenchman had tears come to eyes when he tried my goat milk triple cream using Jim's recipe.  He said it was the first time he'd had one "just like back home in France" 
I think that has to be my proudest "cheese moment" ever.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 02:17:39 AM by GortKlaatu »
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

Alcofermbrew

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 09:57:58 AM »
i love camembert and my son too, so this is a type of cheese, which i do mostly. What kind of equipment do you use for it ?