Author Topic: Humidifier  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
Humidifier
« on: June 17, 2016, 07:20:02 AM »
I've finally got around to doing something about the humidity in my cheese fridge.
The fridge, or "cave" (that word never really feels quite right for this setup), is a small bar fridge run by an external thermostat.
The humidifier is a fairly simple device consisting of a  long acrylic trough with a computer fan at one end. The trough is half filled with water and the fan blows air across the surface. It is controlled by a humidity controller bought through eBay.
The unit is designed to fit in the fridge door to save valuable cheese space. The controller sits on top of the fridge.
So far it all seems to work alright but the real test won't come until summer. If it doesn't keep up then I will look at installing some sort of wick to increase evaporation. I may also consider running a drain tube from the drip tray to the humidifier to recycle water and save having to empty the drip tray too often.
- Andrew

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
Re: Humidifier
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 06:00:36 AM »
Interesting... Can you please share the make/model of RH controller that you so I can search for it? Thanks

... I use a computer fan too but with a micro mister mini humidifier.... Can't seem to get 85% RH, or better though. The fan helps getting the inside of cave from getting "wet" and creating sitting water on bottom from the mist settling in only one area.

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 07:24:03 AM »
Hi Fritz
The instruction sheet which came with it tells me that it is a Shenzhen "Miehang Technology" MH13001.
A link to the eBay site is here.
It is a bit hard to tell what the humidity is as it jumps around so much with the fridge cooling cycle.
At the moment I don't think the humidifier is operating much as it has been very wet. It will be a different matter in summer though when the humidity drops right down and the cheeses dry out very quickly. That is my main concern.
- Andrew

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 08:27:55 PM »
Thanks Andrew.
I'll look into playing with one of those.
Summer here in Canada is the moist season ...warm air holding more moisture (humidity) and winter being the dry season. Cold (frozen) air holding little moisture.