Author Topic: Recommended Books  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Lloyd

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
  • Default personal text
Recommended Books
« on: June 22, 2016, 08:09:56 PM »
I've got Ricki Carroll's book.  What would anyone else recommend for a second reference book for a beginner?

wattlebloke

Re: Recommended Books
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 09:22:28 PM »
Welcome to the forum Lloyd. If its recipes you're after, there are any number in books and on the web (including this forum). Rikki is a great start.
If you want to broaden your thinking, I would suggest David Asher "The Art of Natural Cheesemaking"
If its about understanding what you're doing, at a deeper level, then Gianaclis Caldwell, Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking"

mjr522

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 02:07:07 AM »
I'll second Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking. It's the first recommendation I give to folks who are interested in learning about cheesemaking.

I also really enjoyed American Farmstead Cheese by Paul Kindstedt, though it might not be a good second place to go. If you really get into cheesemaking and want to start thinking about making cheese professionally, it provides some very good information.

This forum, of course, might be the best resource available. Here you can get multiple perspectives from people who have been making cheese for years, and can interact with them when you have specific questions that you can't find answers for elsewhere.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 06:29:17 AM »
The 2 books mentioned would be at the top of my list also.....

My recommendation is to pick a cheese that ripens in less than 2 months and make it over and over for  at least 2 times per month for the next 6 months  this way every third cheese or so you can taste your successes and failures .

You can throw in a new cheese every so often but having a go to cheese that you can make with out reading the recipe clears the mind to start noticing what is actually going on with the curds

also write down every thing you do on a make sheet

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 06:52:56 AM »
Hi Lloyd..welcome to the cheese forums!

Some cheese books I flip through in addition to the above are:

'The Cheesemaker's Manual' by Margaret Peters (Morris) http://www.glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/accessories/miscellaneous/dvds-and-books/the-cheesemakers-manual-by-m.-morris.html

'Artisan Cheese Making At Home' by Mary Karlin http://www.artisancheesemakingathome.com/marysbookswebsites.html

'200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes' 2nd edition by Debra Amrein-Boyes  https://www.amazon.ca/200-Easy-Homemade-Cheese-Recipes/dp/0778804658

Now careful! Buying cheese books ...similar to cooking books ...is a slippery slope! Before you know it ... You'll have stacks of 'em in no time..lol

Good luck and have fun :)

Offline Lloyd

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 09:09:49 AM »
Many thanks,  I'll take a look at those.