Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1054 times)

PJM

Hello
« on: June 26, 2016, 10:08:11 PM »
I have only found this wonderful site today. I don't know how I missed it, but then I haven't had internet access at home until recently, so my surfing was always quickly done at the library.

I live in Southeastern British Columbia in Canada.

I have been making cheese at home for several years following Margaret Morris's wonderful cheese book. I think, like most home cheesemakers, some work and some don't. Reading on here I should be able to find out why some don't.

The saying is to learn something new everyday - from here I should be learning something new for some time to come. I am terrible at asking questions, but will try to improve on this.

wattlebloke

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 10:28:55 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, PJM. Dont worry about your disinclination to ask questions: you can practice by 'asking' them in the search box ! they've maybe been asked and answered by others in the past. When the time comes to put a question out there to the wide world you'll find this forum is just full of people who love to be helpful :)
On another note, this forum is, importantly, a place to post pictures and descriptions of your latest SATISFYING cheese makes: many of us are further inspired by stories of success!

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 11:45:39 PM »
Hi PJM, fellow Canadian...Welcome to the Cheese Forum!

Glad you found us.. Always happy to see new members join us.
So polish your camera lens and show us what you are up to ... We love to see what's cooking in your kitchen :)

Fritz

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 06:20:39 PM »
On another note, this forum is, importantly, a place to post pictures and descriptions of your latest SATISFYING cheese makes: many of us are further inspired by stories of success!

Oh, don't limit yourself to SATISFYING cheese makes -- we're happy to commiserate over the failures as well! (Somewhere there is an extensive thread documenting those ...)

Welcome to the forum!
-- Andy

Kern

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 10:24:47 PM »
I have been making cheese at home for several years following Margaret Morris's wonderful cheese book. I think, like most home cheesemakers, some work and some don't. Reading on here I should be able to find out why some don't.

The most common reason [some chesses] "work and some don't" is that the cheese maker does not hit the target pH for the cheese being made.  Most recipe books are notorious about omitting this information and instead revert to time as the determinate variable in cheese making.  You can make pretty good cheese with some crappy equipment if you watch the temperature and the pH but you'll usually make crappy cheese with great equipment if don't control for temperature and pH.  Here is a pretty good pH meter and is an investment worth making.

Welcome to the forum.  If you are truly serious about becoming a great cheesemaker you might also invest in this book. 

valley ranch

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 03:39:06 AM »
Hi PJM, Glad you came by! This place does seem a good find doesn't it. Sounds like you're into cheese, great, pictures are good for some of us what don't read too well.

welcome!

Richard