Author Topic: A g'day from a tourist  (Read 1642 times)

Mega066

A g'day from a tourist
« on: June 27, 2016, 01:12:40 PM »
Hello cheese lovers. I go by Mega, I'm from Australia, I'm a Halo fan and I'm here to visit your community and learn about what's what for the next few days.

It's part of this thing I'm calling my digital gap year. 12 months, 12 different communities/fandoms. At first an associate recommended this community as a joke but then I thought I'd actually give it a go. I was planning on only hanging around here for a few days before the end of the month but now I'm thinking I might spend a few more weeks here if things prove interesting. My goal's to learn about this community so that's what I'll be doing.

I'd like to end this little post with a request for a recommendation on what I should check out during my time here. Anything and everything would be really appreciated. Whether be an interesting thread or something else. To tell the truth I'm not really sure what I should be looking for but I'm there's some cool stuff to check out around here.

P.S Full disclosure. I lied on the profile verification. Cheese is not my favorite food and I'm more interested in the community itself over cheese.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 01:22:05 PM by Mega066 »

valley ranch

Re: A g'day from a tourist
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 03:02:29 PM »
Well Mega, that's a bit of a strange hello. I'm brand new here so can't give a clue as to what might interest you. I think that's for you to decide, look round and say what you found interesting.

I'm American, wife and I had a property in Australia in Laidley Shire, between Brisbane and Toowoomba if you're from the east coast.

Have a look round that's, as I said, that's what I'm doing, and it would be good if you let us know what you found that you found worth while. You might also tell the wanker that mentioned this forum as a joke %99 *00so.

Anyway lets hear what you find and I'll see you here and there on the form, if we meet in the break room I'll shout you a cupa coffee.

Ta Richard
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 12:55:36 AM by valley ranch »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 10:37:46 PM »
Mega, most folks who visit here have some vested interest in cheese...anything from making it, serving it, selling/buying it, tasting it, acquiring/disposing of equipment, or just commenting on cheese-related topics. Your stated position is different.  :-\

I'm not sure what level of satisfaction you'll derive from the forum. Perhaps you'll develop a special fondness for cheese (and the creation of it) once you've read some of the adventures and misadventures our members have experienced.

Good luck in your time with the forum.  :)

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 02:12:44 AM »
Errrr.... Welcome to the cheese forum ... Hope you find us somewhat interesting to stay ... In the meanwhile ... Maybe source out a starter kit to make cheese ... Two that come to mind are "Mad Millie" http://www.madmillie.com/shop/Cheese+Making/Cheese+Making+Kits/Artisan+Cheese+Kit.html and "New England cheese" http://www.cheesemaking.com/store/c/1-Kits.html

Always a good start ...

F

Mega066

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 05:45:36 AM »
Thank you all for the welcome and thank you for the links that have been provided. It's really appreciated and I'll be sure to check them out along with the rest of this forum.

I've gotta say that it's really interesting to see that original posts are placed on the bottom of the page around here instead of the top like everywhere else I've. Now that I think about it that actually makes a lot more sense.

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 09:55:35 AM »
G'day Mega from a fellow Aussie and welcome on board the forum. We are actually well represented here.
You will find that the forum is made up of people from a range of countries. Many are hobby cheesemakers and some are professional, semi-professional or aspiring professional artisan cheesemakers.
The common thread is a passion for making cheese and a wish to share our experiences and learn from others.
It's a little unusual to have someone here just for a sticky-beak but you are most welcome.
If you want to get a feel for what we are all about, I would suggest clicking where it says GENERAL BOARDS at the top of the page and just cruising around the various boards and posts at random.
If you want to know about the world of cheese, you might like to have a look at this.
- Andrew