Author Topic: We make a bit of wine.  (Read 4317 times)

valley ranch

We make a bit of wine.
« on: June 29, 2016, 04:09:59 AM »
We do make wine, it's been a good while since we have but when we do we make a good lot. I'm having a taste, as we speak, of a Chardonnay, we made when we were first married that's over 20 years. It has aged well, nicely extracted. [great color]

Sounds like people here make a bit of wine.

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
Re: We make a bit of wine.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 05:52:52 AM »
Nice... I'll have a glass too please :) I considered quite often to make wine as my wife and I share a weekend bottle quite regularly... But, I have the pleasure of living an hour or so away from not one but two great VQA wine growing areas here in Ontario ...Niagara and Prince Edward County... And Pelee Island is not far away either...
I really dive into my hobbies with two feet.... I feel if I got into my own wine making, I would not go out to the growers (as often) .... And that would be a shame.

valley ranch

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 06:48:52 AM »
Greetings Fritz, You would do well to do it. First get yourself a barrel, it can be a plastic food quality, you know. You'll actually need two barrels, one open top and the other with a bung, a screw in plug, if it's plastic.

Then, well get the two barrels and then we'll talk about the rest.

It's a good idea, now that you've been thinking about it, think about ~having, if it's a 60 gallon plastic you'll have 300 bottles. You won't have 60 gallons in a 60 gallon barrel, more like 50. But , think about having all that wine getting better each season, learning, growing , maturing. 1/2 ton of grapes will fill a barrel,,,,think!

Richard

Wood barrels are nice, you can get used barrels from winery

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 09:45:18 AM »
I'm fortunate to live close to winemaking regions too. Like you, I make my own but not in the quantities that you are talking about.
Shortly after I built my house, just over thirty years ago, I put up a pergola across the front (North facing) and planted four Shiraz vines. These now yield about forty to fifty litres of dry red. The quality of the wine is still improving as my understanding of the art improves.
- Andrew

valley ranch

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 03:47:07 AM »
Raw Prawn, Sir you have me topped. That is great, your own vineyard. Good for you.

And, I don't make that much, well, a lot but not often. I would prefer your approach a vineyard on the property.

Richard

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 02:35:04 PM »
Around here, one goes to a "wine making store" ...pick out a famous label/brand and make of wine... Put $300 on the table and comeback later to pick up your 20-30 bottles of bottled wine they ferment, bottle..ready to drink or age. They do all the work.
Now... if only they would stir my curds for me too! :)

john H

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 11:50:50 PM »
I'm fortunate to live close to winemaking regions too. Like you, I make my own but not in the quantities that you are talking about.
Shortly after I built my house, just over thirty years ago, I put up a pergola across the front (North facing) and planted four Shiraz vines. These now yield about forty to fifty litres of dry red. The quality of the wine is still improving as my understanding of the art improves.

That's cool Raw Prawn, I have been making wine for 30 years now (gulp). I planted 25 Frontenac vines in my back yard 3 years ago and last year ! got 150lbs off the vines. This year I have pruned for quality sacrificing quantity that was extremely difficult for me to wrap my head around cutting off those perfectly good berries. I am about a month away from harvest it has been a very hot and dry summer so far.

john H

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 11:51:58 PM »
We do make wine, it's been a good while since we have but when we do we make a good lot. I'm having a taste, as we speak, of a Chardonnay, we made when we were first married that's over 20 years. It has aged well, nicely extracted. [great color]

Sounds like people here make a bit of wine.

Those bottles are on their side aren't they?????? hard to tell from the picture

Duntov

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 12:29:12 AM »
Around here, one goes to a "wine making store" ...pick out a famous label/brand and make of wine... Put $300 on the table and comeback later to pick up your 20-30 bottles of bottled wine they ferment, bottle..ready to drink or age. They do all the work.
Now... if only they would stir my curds for me too! :)

Ha ha!  And you can't get raw milk either.  I say time to move!

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 06:30:12 AM »
Lol.... I have 14 gallons of raw milk every week to play with, and a well stocked vintage wine store everywhere I go.... I ain't movin' anytime soon :)

Duntov

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 10:58:17 AM »
Lol.... I have 14 gallons of raw milk every week to play with, and a well stocked vintage wine store everywhere I go.... I ain't movin' anytime soon :)

So you are ignoring Canadian dairy laws?  Good for you!

john H

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 09:27:46 PM »
Excuse my ignorance but is the Canadian dairy law that you can not make cheese from raw milk or that you can not sell raw milk with out a licence to a licenced buyer?

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 03:19:54 PM »
Hi John... The law basicly says no raw milk sales to anyone. The milk board is the government sanctioned mafia-like organization that controls all aspects of milk distribution and sales between farmers and producers. There are raw milk cheeses being produced legally here in Canada (aged over 6 months I think is the law). But I'm not sure if they are actually buying raw milk from the milk board or are producing it from their own cows. More than likely the latter. So the cheese maker would have to be in ownership of the cows, creamery, and cheese production facility to comply with the law. If you own your own cow, you are allowed to make your own cheese from it ... But you can't give it away or sell it...

Sarcasm: feel free to go to the grocery store for booze, marajuana and cigarettes..... Nothing wrong with selling those here in Canada ... But don't touch the milk....it'll kill ya and we'll throw you in jail!

And Duntov..... I own my own cow here on the property ... So no laws broken.... Yet :)

Duntov

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 10:36:14 PM »

And Duntov..... I own my own cow here on the property ... So no laws broken.... Yet :)

Yes, I remember that now.  You are in the few of blessed ones!  I have read a little about Canadian milk laws and it is somewhat confusing and a moving target.  I see they shut down the cow share programs.  That is just mean.   >:(

john H

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 01:01:33 AM »
Thanks Fritz that was my understanding.

John