Author Topic: non-standard size cheese molds  (Read 1907 times)

Bowling Bill

non-standard size cheese molds
« on: July 11, 2009, 01:33:06 AM »
Hello All,

In this instance, I am wondering if there is a place to find nonstandard size cheese molds.

I currently have a small 2lb cheese mold from cheesemaking.com.  Where can i find an 8oz, with follower (or extra extra small)?  Or I could probably make or have one made at the local plastics shop.

If I can find/make said mold, are pressing weights and times different?

Yes, i want to make small cheeses.  You know for gifts and stuff.

Thanks,
Bill

Cheese Head

Re: non-standard size cheese molds
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 03:01:36 AM »
Hi Bill, if you mooch through this board you should be able to find several pictures of people making their own molds, mostly out of PVC pipe and using flat cutting boards for followers.

Yes pressing weight will be different, lots of posts on weights and times and fellow member Carter has made a spreadsheet table he attached to a post. Me, for smaller cheeses I think it will have to be more trial and error until you can get it right.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: non-standard size cheese molds
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 05:50:43 AM »
Glengarry has some nice little baby gouda shaped molds that I really love to use that are 200 grams (0.44 pounds) or  300 grams (0.66 pounds) or 450 grams (0.99 pounds). They also sell a similar mold without the bult in net that is 500 grams (1.10 pounds) for only $14. They make lovely little cheeses great for giftgiving.

http://glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/wax.htm

Ullmers is selling the 450 gram molds for $25

http://www.ullmers-dairyequipment.com/cheesemolds.htm

and as John mensioned PVC pipe can but purchased pretty cheap in sizes from 1 to 12 inches in diameter. Just drill lots of tiny holes in the pipe pick up some nylon/plastic cutting boards from the dollar store to cut followers.