Author Topic: A Campaign for Real Milk  (Read 2807 times)

valley ranch

A Campaign for Real Milk
« on: July 02, 2016, 05:23:28 PM »

Real Milk
A Campaign for Real Milk
A Project of the Weston A. Price Foundation

Main menu
Skip to primary content
Skip to secondary content
Home: THE FACTS ABOUT REAL RAW MILK
Real Milk Finder
Blog
Site Map

Browse:HomeHealthRaw Milk Vs. Pasteurized Milk

Skip to primary content
Skip to secondary content
Home: THE FACTS ABOUT REAL RAW MILK
Real Milk Finder
Blog
Site Map
  From Armchair Science, London
April 1938
Read this article in Japanese

There is no substitute for clean, raw milk as a food, so far as children are concerned. Science has not yet succeeded in providing, in the pasteurized variety, those essential qualities that are the only real foundation for a healthy child.

Unfortunately, many grossly distorted statements are current regarding our milk supply. If we are to believe the protagonists of the Pasteurization-of-all-milk-at-all costs Party, raw milk is as good, or rather as bad, as rat poison-although as the Minister of Agriculture recently stated, “the human race existed long before Pasteur was heard of.”

The process of pasteurization was debated in the House of Commons and the suggestion made that no raw milk should be sold for human consumption. This would mean installation of expensive machinery by every supplier, and if it should become compulsory there is little doubt that many small firms would shut down and the business pass in the hands of a few big dealers.

If we are to be compelled to drink pasteurized milk, we should at least understand what pasteurization means. It set out to accomplish two things: Destruction of certain disease-carrying germs and the prevention of souring milk. These results are obtained by keeping the milk at a temperature of 145 degrees to 150 degrees F. for half an hour, at least, and then reducing the temperature to not more than 55 degrees F.

It is undoubtedly beneficial to destroy dangerous germs, but pasteurization does more than this-it kills off harmless and useful germs alike, and by subjecting the milk to high temperatures, destroys some nutritious constituents.

With regards to the prevention of souring; sour raw milk is very widely used. It is given to invalids, being easily digested, laxative in its properties, and not unpleasant to take. But, after pasteurization, the lactic acid bacilli are killed. The milk, in consequence, cannot become sour and quickly decomposes, while undesirable germs multiply very quickly.

Pasteurization’s great claim to popularity is the widespread belief, fostered by its supporters, that tuberculosis in children is caused by the harmful germs found in raw milk. Scientists have examined and tested thousands of milk samples, and experiments have been carried out on hundreds of animals in regard to this problem of disease-carrying by milk. But the one vital fact that seems to have been completely missed is that it is CLEAN, raw milk that is wanted. If this can be guaranteed, no other form of food for children can, or should, be allowed to take its place.

Dirty milk, of course, is like any other form of impure food — a definite menace. But Certified Grade A Milk, produced under Government supervision and guaranteed absolutely clean, is available practically all over the country and is the dairy-farmer’s answer to the pasteurization zealots.

Recent figures published regarding the spread of tuberculosis by milk show, among other facts, that over a period of five years, during which time 70 children belonging to a special organization received a pint of raw milk daily. One case only of the disease occurred. During a similar period when pasteurized milk had been given, 14 cases were reported.

Besides destroying part of the vitamin C contained in raw milk and encouraging growth of harmful bacteria, pasteurization turns the sugar of milk, known as lactose, into beta-lactose — which is far more soluble and therefore more rapidly absorbed in the system, with the result that the child soon becomes hungry again.

Probably pasteurization’s worst offence is that it makes insoluable the major part of the calcium contained in raw milk. This frequently leads to rickets, bad teeth, and nervous troubles, for sufficient calcium content is vital to children; and with the loss of phosphorus also associated with calcium, bone and breain formation suffer serious setbacks.

Pasteurization also destroys 20 percent of the iodine present in raw milk, causes constipation and generally takes from the milk its most vital qualities.

In face of these facts-which are undeniable-what has the Pasteurization Party to say? Instead of compelling dealers to set up expensive machinery for turning raw milk into something that is definitely not what it sets out to be — a nutritious, health giving food — let them pass legislation making the dairy-farmers produce clean, raw milk — that is milk pure to drink with all its constituents unaltered.

The above was published in Magazine Digest – June 1938. Armchair Science is a British medical journal.

This I believe!

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: A Campaign for Real Milk
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 04:48:40 AM »
It will be a long time before things change on the raw milk idea ,

Humans  are simply not rational ,and governments are less so.

I am just glad I can buy raw milk with out going to jail

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 06:10:32 AM »
Exactly... I m not about to wait for change...

So I bought a cow, and found a nice place to have her boarded and milked. With all she gives me (drinking milk, coffee cream, butter, cheese milk, sour cream, yogurt, cream cheese, whipping cream,  etc) she was a financially good investment. I used to spend $250-$350 of cheese milk and dairy products every month to make my cheese, for drinking and dairy foods. I figure I could buy a 2 year-old brown Swiss/Jersey cross already recently calfed, for $1600 delivered. Found a great farmer that milks her twice daily and only charges me very minimum monthly costs with the agreement that he gets to keep her calfs and some milk for himself, to use for his family and baby farm animals, moving forward. The bonus is, I get 18 farm fresh free run chicken eggs every week too when I go to pick up my average 10-12 gallons a week (twice a week pickup). Was the best investment I ever bought :)

dickdeuel

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 03:01:59 PM »
When I started making cheese I never imagined how lucky I was living in Western South Carolina.  I started out using "Happy Cow" cream-line milk (no silage) from a small dairy about 15 minutes from the house @$4.50 a Gallon.  Excellent quality!  There is a another dairy that delivers raw milk to an interstate exit only 15 minutes away @$6 a gallon.  I'm still waiting on a raw milk Gouda that's ageing.  Other dairys I have yet to use include the only sheep milk dairy in South Carolina only 20 minutes away and several goat dairy farms at various farmers markets within a short drive.  I wish I could share the bounty with everyone in areas that are barren of good quality milk.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 10:02:11 PM »
Exactly... I m not about to wait for change...

So I bought a cow, and found a nice place to have her boarded and milked. With all she gives me (drinking milk, coffee cream, butter, cheese milk, sour cream, yogurt, cream cheese, whipping cream,  etc) she was a financially good investment. I used to spend $250-$350 of cheese milk and dairy products every month to make my cheese, for drinking and dairy foods. I figure I could buy a 2 year-old brown Swiss/Jersey cross already recently calfed, for $1600 delivered. Found a great farmer that milks her twice daily and only charges me very minimum monthly costs with the agreement that he gets to keep her calfs and some milk for himself, to use for his family and baby farm animals, moving forward. The bonus is, I get 18 farm fresh free run chicken eggs every week too when I go to pick up my average 10-12 gallons a week (twice a week pickup). Was the best investment I ever bought :)
Wait...I'm picking up on something.     Ah yes, the "Lap of Luxury"!  8)

Just a little envious.... A)
Good on you, Fritz.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 04:30:05 AM »
6 dollars a gallon for raw delivered.  Maybe I am not so lucky after all . We pay 14.50 a gallon for raw organic

Up until recently I was getting raw goats milk for 10 dollars a gallon , but they moved away.

I think I need to find some one with a cow and extra milk and wants to trade for cheese .

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 06:19:49 AM »
Haha..boofer.. Thanks :)

It's about 10$ a gallon of generic raw milk around here ... Black Market of course.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 03:00:24 PM »
I can get great raw milk for $7.00 a gallon, less if I take my own container. at Blackjack Valley Farms in Port Orchard.  Great stuff!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

atalanta

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 02:06:23 PM »
If I lived closer to Lancaster, I could get raw milk at a better price. I pay $7.50/gal (plus a delivery fee) for raw milk. The local Amish market has it at $7 per half-gallon. There is a dairy farm near me, but they're affiliated with Land o Lakes and I am a bit leery of a commercial dairy farm. Fortunately raw milk is legal in PA (only recently did I find out it there was an issue about it).

MrsKK

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 12:35:25 PM »
I live in Wisconsin and Big Dairy will line the pockets of politicians enough that legal access to raw milk will always be denied to the masses in this state.

I have my own cow also, but she is the one that started me on this journey. 

Fritz, you are getting a good deal to have her boarded and cared for by someone else.  Keeping a cow is a lot of work, but nothing I've ever regretted.  Now that I'm not as capable to milking as I used to be (nor of cheesemaking on a weekly basis), I have her raise extra calves for us, which either go to the freezer for us or are sold.  A cow is always a good investment, provided you know what you are doing when you buy one.

lovinglife

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 01:40:25 PM »
Great article!  Wish more people would read understand and believe this.  I have known for years how much better raw milk is.  When my daughter was young she had lots of breathing issues, I started milking a goat and she seemed to do better.  Several years later when we were unable to have the fresh milk she actually developed asthma.  On the cost of raw milk in various areas, all I can say is if you have a couple goats for the milk, don't think you are saving any money!  Much cheaper to buy from someone else silly enough to put all their money into animals, like myself.... Ya, I have more goats than I need but they are so cool and fun I can't stop myself.  This year the chickens are getting lots of expensive milk and cheese, I am raising 3 pigs with excess milk and of course quality pig feed, so even though it helps in that respect, now I have to buy pig feed as well!  Its ok though, I will have some healthy pork this fall, along with the cow I raised last year on milk and all the meat chickens I raised...  So if you have a place to buy your raw milk, count yourself lucky!  OR do like me and sink all your money into animals and get fresh milk morning and night.