Author Topic: The same curds for Gorgonzola and Stichelton  (Read 3645 times)

Frodage3

The same curds for Gorgonzola and Stichelton
« on: July 03, 2016, 03:25:43 AM »
I split this gorgonzola recipe into a gorgonzola and a stichelton. The basic procedure comes from Carroll's Gorgonzola Dolce. It's my sixth time making it. The variation is that during draining, I diverted approximately one third of the make to form a stichelton. Here is the process and photos:

1) 12L skim milk, 1.5L 33% cream brought to 30C.
2) While warming the above, soak 1/16 tsp of my special P. roqueforti mixture in 250mL 2% milk. You can see from photo 1 that there are still some sour dough bread particles present. I filtered them before addition.
3) Once the milk/cream is warm (photo 2), add one packet of Carroll's C101 culture.
4) Add the blue mould.
5) Add 3/4 tsp lipase to 250mL water. Stir then add to the make.
6) Ripen for 60 minutes. Stir occasionally.
7) Five minutes before the ripening time, add 1/2 tab of vegetable rennet to 250 mL previously-boiled water.
8 ) After 60 minutes of ripening, add the rennet solution, gently stir in an up-and-down motion for one minute. Let sit. (Time to flocculation was 12 minutes, times flocculation factor of four means total time of 48 minutes.
9) Cut the curds into 3cm cubes (photo 3). By this time the temperature had accidently risen to 44C. The whey was steaming!
10) Stir the curds gently three times over 5 minutes.
11) Settle for 15 minutes.
12) Whey off three litres. Reserve for ricotta. At this point my young apprentice asked “why does the cheese juice smell so bad.” I could only suggest it was because of the high temperature, but it didn't smell bad to me, just cheesy.
13) Settle for 5 minutes.
14) Stir gently for 5 minutes.
15) Whey off another three litres. Reserve for ricotta.
16) Transfer approximately two-thirds of the curds to the gorgonzola mould (photos 4 and 5).
17) After 15 min, the curd had sunk to the top of the mould, so I flipped it. Continue flipping every 15 minutes until the curds will fit into the other mould (the smaller that I had intended to use for it).
18) Once the gorgy was safely flipped a few times, it could fit into the smaller mould, I turned my attention to the stichelton draining in the basket (photo 6). I tied a knot and flipped the whole (photo 7).
19) After 90 minutes of draining, the stichelton appeared quite solid so I began the milling process prior to salting (photo 8 ). The wet curd weighed 1.235kg, so I sprinkled 12.4g of kosher salt (1% of the cheese weight) into the curd and mixed it up by hand.
20) After 15 minutes, I repeated the salting with the same mass of salt. Mixed again and waited 15 minutes. By this time, some more whey began to be released from the curd.
21) I transferred the curd to a cheese-cloth lined mould (the larger one which has a follower). This cheese has a totally different feel from the gorgy. Whereas the gorgy was smooth and springy, the stichelton was more resistant to pressure and almost crumbly.
22) Let the stichelton rest for 15 minutes, flip, rest for 15 minutes and flip.
23) By this time the two paths rejoin. In the photo, the gorgonzola is on the left and the stichelton is on the right in my 30-cent press. Flip every hour for four hours. Then let sit overnight.

More updates to come.

Frodage3

Re: The same curds for Gorgonzola and Stichelton
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 02:32:09 AM »
It's the third day and the two side-by-side look very similar. Stich is notchier than Gorgy and a little bit shorter (less curd and slight pressing in the press, photo 10). Now I'm getting really eager to see how they diverge!

The ricotta finished draining so I got 146g of that. I added 2% by weight of salt (3g) and mixed it in (photo 11). Now, I have never really liked ricotta or cream cheese or any of the industrial goo at the grocery store. Imagine my surprise when my home made goo was delicious (photo 12)! I am a believer in ricotta!

As of this moment the efficiency of the make was 144g/L, which is pretty close to the last make at 161. The recipe scales well, but if I do go to a Danbo scale, I will need a bigger turkey roaster!

Frodage3

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 03:26:25 AM »
Two new photos: 1) is Day 5 and getting ready to go into the cave. The stichelton (right) has bluing all over in the smeared notches. 2) is Day 7 (48 hours at 13C and 95-98%RH) and the stichelton is unmistakably blue all over.

It concerns me that the gorgonzola hasn't even started to change. Any suggestions why that might be?

Duntov

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 04:25:49 AM »
Looks like everything is going very well.  I will watch for your updates.  AC4U!

Frodage3

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 06:08:05 AM »
Thanks, Duntov!

Frodage3

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 05:21:05 AM »
Day 9, and phew, the Gorgonzola is showing a tiny bit of blue. I was getting worried.

Stich is blue almost all over. So, I pierced them both and put them back in the cave.

Interestingly, the Gorgonzola seemed to have multiple hard and soft regions during the piercing. I have never experienced that before. Has any one else? The skewer is rectangular in cross-section instead of circular. It's as if there are chucks of curds in there. No whey emerged during the piercing, so I don't think there are wet regions in and amongst dry ones.

Here's a nice photo of the two.

KazAugustin

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 07:08:22 AM »
Oh what beautiful curds! I'm so envious.  :D The cheeses look lovely. I'll be waiting for updates.

Frodage3

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 02:21:43 PM »
Hi Kaz! This was by far my most enjoyable make ever.

Frodage3

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 01:07:30 AM »
These two beauties are diverging remarkably! Stich has begun to crack and has a layer of white fuzz (left), while Gorgy is the same old mottled white/blue that I've come to love in each of the previous Gorgonzola makes.

I pierced them with my oven thermometer and even then the two pates behaved differently. The edges of Stich flaked away, while the gorgy seemed to crumble. There are still pockets of low resistance inside Gorgy, so I'm really eager to see if I trapped massive pockets of air in between the curds.

No trier, so I can't test it. I will have to wait.  :'(

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 03:19:21 PM »
Hey Frodage3, looking good, looking good. The one cracking may be in too dry of a cave...?... And a good tip for piercing Blues ...preventing flaking and cracking ... Let them come up to room temp before piercing ... More playable paste :)

Frodage3

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 02:22:46 AM »
Hi Fritz,
I think you're right about the cave. I was relying on Gorgy to humidify Stich.
Great suggestion about warming first! I will do that in future.
Jim

Frodage3

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 02:44:37 AM »
The great day came so I photographed these two before and after. Like twins, I find them both beautiful. Stich is drier than Gorgy but has nearly the same taste - a little bit less creamy-sweet than Gorgy, but still a nice blue. They are not nearly as different as I thought they would be! When I've seen others on this forum make different cheeses from identical curds they seem to get extremely different cheeses. Any ideas why mine are so alike? Is it the effect of the mould?

Kern

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 10:20:05 PM »
Stich and Gorgy.  Kind of sounds like a musical with Porgy and Bess in it.  At any rate the cheeses look quite nice and certainly deserve one from me.   ;)

Frodage3

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 11:38:49 PM »
Thanks!

Offline FishFarmAndy

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Regenerative smallholder, artisan cheesemaker
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2022, 06:41:01 PM »
I've no idea whether you're still around, Frodage3, but thanks! I'm used to making Stilton-like cheeses, am interested to make a Gorgonzola dolce, so will try this parallel make tomorrow.