Author Topic: need to understand cheap alternatives to coolbot  (Read 6008 times)

goatherd

need to understand cheap alternatives to coolbot
« on: July 03, 2016, 03:32:39 PM »
Hi Folks,
I'm new here, registered to ask my question.  I started aging cheeses last fall.  The winter temperatures helped me keep the temperature down.  Then in the spring, I moved the cheeses to a basement closet with 2 concrete walls, with soil on the other side.  That worked for awhile, keeping temperature down, but I live in the desert, and the humidity went down too.

I tried using a personal travel humidifier, then added wet towels to get the humidity up.  I got humidity up to 80, but the temperature was in the high 60s... and in these conditions, a LOT of mold grew, like cotton candy.  I don't tend the aging cheeses on a daily basis, about 3 times a week is about all I can manage.

A friend mentioned getting a frige, and I found some on craigslist, but the coolbot costs 300 + bucks, which is a bit much for me.  Googling coolbot alternatives, I found my way here.  I was going to post on the existing thread, but was prompted to start a new thread.

Anyway, I don't know what a thermister is, so I don't understand what was posted by the folks on the other thread about how to get the function of the cool bot for about 12 bucks.

My operation is very small.  I'm milking 3 goats this year, getting between 1 1/2 and 2 gallons a day.  I think a window air conditioner is overkill for my small needs.

does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks very much.

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: need to understand cheap alternatives to coolbot
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 09:44:02 PM »
A friend mentioned getting a frige, and I found some on craigslist, but the coolbot costs 300 + bucks, which is a bit much for me.
Maybe there's a bit of confusion in the air. :-\

Normally, a Coolbot is used to control a walk-in cave of some sort.

A lot of forum members use a fridge of some size to properly age their cheeses. These small fridges (often referred to as "caves") are typically controlled by a Johnson temperature controller as Fritz has described, or something similar. This type of aging solution can effectively maintain temps from 45F-65F (7C-18C). Inside the cave (small fridge), a minicave (plastic ripening box) is then used to maintain a high level of humidity around the cheese.

HTH :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

goatherd

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 01:34:22 AM »
thanks people, sure enough there was some confusion, but it looks like the thing I DO need is on amazon, and not that expensive.

So, how do I allow breathing, when it's sealed in the refrigerator?  And is an upright freezer better than a frige? Or is the insulation in freezers and refrigerators a brand by brand thing?

wattlebloke

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 03:14:43 AM »
An modern upright freezer, typically, has twice as much insulation as a same-brand fridge, at least on the side walls. You may find that there is less of a difference with the door and rear panel. So yes, this means it comes on less often, makes it cheaper to run/more energy efficient and presumably there is less wear and tear on the motor/compressor. And yes, as you guessed, there is considerable variation across brands.
If you go for the freezer option, you want to avoid the type which have horizontal cooling coils between the shelves/drawers. These tend to end up being a very high humidity cave.

goatherd

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 09:58:43 PM »
that's interesting, higher humidity with coils in the shelves.  Maybe in an arid climate that is a good thing.

Any idea what's going on there to create a higher humidity?

wattlebloke

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 04:58:54 AM »
not really. the problem is that moisture condenses on the cooling coils and drips onto the cheeses below