Author Topic: When Life gives you citric acid...  (Read 8455 times)

KazAugustin

Re: When Life gives you citric acid...
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2016, 12:37:24 AM »
@AnnDee: Yes, I know, but we can only get a very limited range of milk here in Johor. And I do read the packs before I make cheese, but this was all I had on hand. You may be able to get certain types of milk up in KL, but don't assume it's available country-wide. Sigh.

valley ranch

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 01:48:25 AM »
AnnDee, Those cheeses in your avatar, have they been rolled in pepper?

Thanks

Richard

achik1990

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 09:12:14 PM »
@AnnDee: Yes, I know, but we can only get a very limited range of milk here in Johor. And I do read the packs before I make cheese, but this was all I had on hand. You may be able to get certain types of milk up in KL, but don't assume it's available country-wide. Sigh.

Last time i made using good day (lil' bird as a logo) milk ... fresh milk ones and + calcium chloride ...
maybe u should try using that?

KazAugustin

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2016, 11:18:39 PM »
Yes, I use Good Day. For some reason, I have found that the 1-litre cartons are not as highly pasteurised as the 2-litre bottles and so give slightly better curds. Go figure. I have also used Farm Fresh, but it seems to be closer to UHT in results. All the powdered milk we get here, regardless of brand, comes from New Zealand. Inconsistent results with three brands I've tried. In fact, the "cheap stuff" I get from the Indian grocery store is as good as the flashier packs in the supermarket, so I'm not hung up on packaging or brand names anymore.

Without having access to raw, full cream, Good Day is the best I can do...which isn't good enough, tbh. I'm sticking to blues and fresh cheeses because my white-rinds and hard cheeses are utterly revolting!

achik1990

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2016, 09:19:04 AM »
Yes, I use Good Day. For some reason, I have found that the 1-litre cartons are not as highly pasteurised as the 2-litre bottles and so give slightly better curds. Go figure. I have also used Farm Fresh, but it seems to be closer to UHT in results. All the powdered milk we get here, regardless of brand, comes from New Zealand. Inconsistent results with three brands I've tried. In fact, the "cheap stuff" I get from the Indian grocery store is as good as the flashier packs in the supermarket, so I'm not hung up on packaging or brand names anymore.

Without having access to raw, full cream, Good Day is the best I can do...which isn't good enough, tbh. I'm sticking to blues and fresh cheeses because my white-rinds and hard cheeses are utterly revolting!

have u tried adding calcium chloride?

KazAugustin

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2016, 09:53:49 AM »
Yep. I'm aware that calcium chloride is added to homogenised milk in order to increase the curd yield. I am also aware that Gianaclis Caldwell recommends adding the calcium chloride solution (dissolved in distilled water) to the milk 15-20 mins before adding the rennet.

Regardless, my whites and hards taste despicable. I'll just have to wait until I can get my hands on better-quality milk, I think.

AnnDee

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2016, 03:24:43 PM »

Maybe you can contact Summerfield milk company, the owner Johannis is very accomodating. This one is lightly pasteurised milk, quite good to make cheese with.

AnnDee

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2016, 03:38:19 PM »
AnnDee, Those cheeses in your avatar, have they been rolled in pepper?

Thanks

Richard

Yes Richard, those are belper knolle. At one stage some of us made this type together, Kern develop a recipe to make it without premix culture packet in the end.

KazAugustin

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2016, 03:03:07 AM »
Maybe you can contact Summerfield milk company, the owner Johannis is very accomodating. This one is lightly pasteurised milk, quite good to make cheese with.

Thanks! You're right. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :)