Author Topic: Can I save junket rennet tablets to use in the future  (Read 2596 times)

rborgen

Can I save junket rennet tablets to use in the future
« on: July 12, 2016, 03:53:00 PM »
Hi! I am VERY new to cheese making.  I have used Junket Rennet to make mozzarella, ricotta and am now in the process of making a basic hard cheese.  The recipe often calls for 1/2 a tablet. Can I save the other 1/2 tablet to use in the future? Any limitations on how it should be stored or how quickly it needs to be used?

I only ask because I saw on one website to use 1/2 tablet and throw the other 1/2 away...
Any advice is appreciated!!

2WheelFun

Re: Can I save junket rennet tablets to use in the future
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 09:03:05 PM »
Hello Ry,

I am also pretty new to cheesemaking, so perhaps someone with more experience can chime in.  I also bought Junket the first time around and was quickly informed that when cheese recipes call for rennet tablets, they are NOT talking about Junket, which is either much less concentrated than regular rennet tablets, or isn't rennet at all (I'm not sure which).  Here is one link on this forum for a similar discussion:

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,4657.msg36216.html#msg36216 

As for saving the other half a tablet, I'd think that should be perfectly fine, especially if stored in an airtight container in the fridge.

Good luck with your future cheese endeavors!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 10:40:34 PM »
2WheelFun gave you good guidance, but I'd like to tighten the focus just a bit.

"linuxboy" was one of the forum's elite gurus before he took an extended hiatus, moving from Washington state to California. His explanation of the differences between Junket and genuine rennet is instructive. There are multiple versions of rennet, including liquid calf rennet, dry calf rennet (has worked well for me and others on the forum), and vegetable rennet.

To give yourself a better chance for success, I would recommend purchasing one of the real rennet types and leave the Junket to making custard or ice cream.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

rborgen

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 08:21:19 PM »
Thank you both for your response. :) I bought some real rennet and will give it a go soon!