Author Topic: Butterkäse - First Attempt  (Read 1741 times)

Duntov

Butterkäse - First Attempt
« on: July 13, 2016, 08:12:50 PM »
I decided to try a Butterkäse since I was starting to get the blues from making blues.  This recipe is basically the same as the one on cheesemaking.com and I also used their cultures.  It is quite a different process as one culture dies off as the temperature is increased for the benefit of another.  Care must also be taken during the flipping process because this cheese is quite soft at that stage.  Kind of like handling a water balloon.

I also tried out a new mold I purchased that I feel gives a better height to width ratio for 2 gallon batches.  It also has nice rounded edges.

Ingredients:
•   2 gal. raw milk
•   1 packet direct set Buttermilk culture (C21)
•   1 packet direct set Thermophilic culture (C201)
•   1 pinch Geotrichum Candidum (C7)
•   2.25 ml or slightly less than ½ Tsp. Liquid Animal Rennet
•   Salt Brine

Steps:
  1.   Add milk to pot and bring up temperature to 86° F (30° C).
  2.   Sprinkle in all cultures, cover with lid and let rest 5 minutes.
  3.   Stir well, cover with lid and let mature undisturbed for 1 hour.
  4.   Slowing raise temperature to 104° F (40° C).
  5.   Add rennet and wait for 25 minutes.
  6.   Cut curds vertically only spaced 2 inches apart and let rest for 5 minutes maintaining temp.
  7.   Cut horizontal with ladle and stir for 10 minutes while breaking curds down to about a 5/8” size.
  8.   Stir and cook curds for an additional 10 minutes using a spoon as to not break curds further.
  9.   Remove ½ of the whey and replace with 104° F (40° C) purified water.
10.   Gently stir with spoon for 30 minutes.
11.   Ladle curds into cloth lined 5.3" × 5" mold and press with 6 lbs. for 30 minutes.
12.   Flip, rewrap and press again for another 30 minutes with 6 lbs.
13.   Continue to flip every 30 minutes without cheese cloth and without weight for another 4-5 hours.
14.   Leave in mold, cover and place in normal fridge overnight.
15.   Next morning pat dry and place in brine for 5-6 hours.
16.   Pat dry and move to cave set at 85% humidity and 50-55° F (10-13° C).
17.   Age for 4-6 weeks flipping daily for the first week and every other day from there on. 
18.   Wipe as needed with brine solution to keep unwanted mold away.  Do not allow rind to dry out.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 08:20:09 PM by Duntov »

Duntov

Re: Butterkäse - First Attempt
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 08:04:36 PM »
Time for an update.  This is day 8 and the cheese has been in a ripening box with a KCI slurry to keep the humidity at 85%.  Geo has developed on the rind so I did a quick brine wash.  So far it is looking good and is firming up consistent with a Butterkäse.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 08:35:41 PM by Duntov »

Duntov

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 01:24:38 PM »
The cheese turned out well and tastes nice.  I added some annatto to the brine wipe just to give the rind some distinction.  The picture below shows it a bit dry but that is only because I cut it very cold.  Once it came up to room temperature it cut very smooth.  The taste is more complex that the store bought version but I find it a little boring.  However the women in the house love it.

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 07:22:31 AM »
Well done John. A nice looking cheese and have one from me for your efforts.
Never mind if it's a little bland. As they say "Happy wife, happy life."
- Andrew

Frodage3

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 03:16:36 AM »
Very nice! +C

Duntov

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 10:40:29 PM »
Thanks for the cheeses guys.  After airing for a few days now, the cheese is much more flavorful with a hint of Emmental.  We tried it on burgers with mushrooms and it melted so well!   :D