Author Topic: Adding herbs, etc to a Fromage Blanc  (Read 4987 times)

BobnCathy

Adding herbs, etc to a Fromage Blanc
« on: June 08, 2009, 04:12:53 PM »
My wife and I just made our first Fromage Blanc, and it was pretty awesome.  I doubt we'll ever buy cream cheese again.  As we finished, and were tasting our efforts, we were thinking of all the great things that could be added to it...dill, garlic, chives, etc. 

Can anyone tell us what would be the appropriate time to make these additions(while draining, after draining, when first put into the butter muslin, etc., and maybe a rough guess on how much of a particular herb?  I know to taste, but it would be good to have an approximate starting point.  Thanks in advance.

Bob and Cathy

homeacremom

Re: Adding herbs, etc to a Fromage Blanc
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 07:46:16 PM »
I do lots of Chevre- the goat milk version of Fromage Blanc.

I prefer to add salt, herbs, and spices  after the cheese has been drained and cooled.

Approx. 1 tsp salt per lb. I prefer Real salt in Chevre.

Herbs De Provence... 1/2 tsp. herbs de provence mix  and 1 tsp salt per lb.

Country Ranch... 1/16 tsp. garlic powder, 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp dill weed. I'm not sure if that was for 1/2 or 1 lb. Add chopped browned, bacon for Bacon Ranch.

Olive and Sundried Tomato...warm the chopped dried tomato bits in 1/2 tbsp olive oil. Cool. Add the best chopped ripe olives you have and an 1/8 tsp dried oregano leaf and 1 tsp salt per lb.

Roasted Garlic... Roast chopped garlic in a smidgeon of olive oil. Spread salted cheese on plate. Top with roasted garlic. Serve with crusty artisan bread.

Chicken wrap spread...add chopped sweet pickles, celery, walnuts, 1/2 -1 tsp salt and 1 tbsp prepared mustard. Spread on tortilla, top with shredded chicken.

Honey Cinnamon...Add several tbsp of honey, 2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4- 1/2 tsp salt per lb. 

Black pepper,
 chives,
strawberry jam,
and thyme&black pepper ...all combinations I have no measurements on...

goatherdess

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 10:23:35 PM »
Mmm...HAM's recipes sound good!
We make 1 quart of milk into Chevre for a batch and after it is done draining we add 3 stalks fresh chives (finely snipped with scissors) 2 tsp. dried parsley, 1/3 tsp salt, and fresh dill to taste (finely snipped with scissors).

FRANCOIS

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 01:46:08 AM »
I have one more suggestion.  We used to produce this commercially...wasabi.  Get POWDERED wasabi and mix in to taste aftr draining.  It sounds gross probably but it is amazing.

BobnCathy

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
All excellent suggestions!!!  My wife and I are going to be starting another batch of Fromage Blanc either tonight or the night after, and we'll be doing some sort of addition...Dill and/or Chives seems to be what we're leaning to right now.  I'll update on how it turns out.

Bob