Author Topic: We're down at the high desert, lower ranch.  (Read 1993 times)

valley ranch

We're down at the high desert, lower ranch.
« on: July 13, 2016, 11:05:20 PM »
The weather down here is warmer down here, 4300ft. Curd forms faster and cleaner break. Heated up 2 gallons to make room in the fridge. No culture added, just 1/4 tab rennet, Oh, I added two tablespoon of salt. I was concerned that it might interfere with the rennet but the curd was like jello about 15 minutes. I'll be using the press I put together before living the mountains.

I plan for this cheese to come out similar to Jack. Cut the curd small, I don't mind if it comes out a bit more solid and grainy than jack, wife wants: "Something I can work with!" That's what she said. It's in the press now. I pressed it once each side with a small amount of weight Now it has a full gallon on the handle, I'll turn it once and leave it until about bedtime with the same weight on.

I'll build a rind, leaving it out just long enough, won't take long down here.

I spray everything with distilled vinegar, I mean everything. We're at the lower ranch for a while, excuse everything that's not in it's proper place.

Richard

valley ranch

Re: We're down at the high desert, lower ranch.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 10:16:08 PM »
Here's what she, the ring, looks like. After the primary pressing with a vary little weight I pressed it over night with almost a gallon of water in the bottle. I'll let it build a bit of a rind.

lovinglife

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 06:45:18 PM »
How long will you age this cheese? 

valley ranch

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 03:57:22 AM »
Lovinglife, Sorry for not answering you post before now. I had trouble getting on the forum a while back. How long do I age the cheeses, just a day or so at room temperature. I don't have a Cheese Cave.

after building a rind, the cheese is put into a ziploc and put in the freezer. The Thermophilic Culture can do a lot it a day or two of fairly warm conditions.

I'm thinking of making a wire cabinet to age hard cheeses, I use to do it that way in the wine cellar. While I won't have much humidity the temperature will be right and for hard cheeses it worked well.

We're back in the mountains, I have a different laptop not this one has windows as an operating program.

Richard

Lately I've been using Heat loving culture, wifey and the girls like it better.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 04:17:44 AM by valley ranch »