Author Topic: Making Cheddar Instructional Video  (Read 1343 times)

carpentersbug

Making Cheddar Instructional Video
« on: July 22, 2016, 06:23:03 AM »
Hi,

I did this a while ago but have never posted it.  I make small amounts of Cheddar in Thailand and although there are lots of books on making Cheddar I haven't really seen a complete video guide.

Any advice will be gratefully received and I'll also try to answer any questions.

Something I didn't put on the video, which should probably be there is about the finishing pH.

If you are patient and can leave the cheeses for more than a year:

pH5.4 Nutty/Deep flavour

pH5.2 Less Nutty/Sharp

pH5.0 Sharp / Very Sharp.

One more point to note is the addition of Flav 54.  It really quickens the maturation time and stabilizes the flavour.  You can get it from Artisan Geek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwpCCPtwSkw

Rob.

Duntov

Re: Making Cheddar Instructional Video
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 01:42:57 AM »
Bravo Rob!  Your videos are very complete compared to most others.  I wish I could order your cheeses for delivery to the USA.  Another cheese for you!

carpentersbug

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 04:00:30 AM »
I wish I could order your cheeses for delivery to the USA

You don't need to now:)

Rosepetal

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 05:32:14 AM »
Hi Rob, really enjoyed your video and additional comments very informative.  Have you managed to do a video or recipe sheet of a smaller scale for home process using the same ingredients and process? Would love to try it myself.

carpentersbug

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 12:22:50 PM »
I'll try to do it soon.  The main points are the cheddaring - which you can do by filling a bag with water and putting it on top of the curd, then stacking weight on top of it.

The other issue is the pH.  I noticed that the curd stretches at different amounts when heated in boiling water according to the pH.  So what I need to do is make a video of the stretch at pH5.0, pH5.2, pH5.4, pH5.6 etc. so you can replicate it. The draining will be a bit of guesswork, but I think after a few makes you should be able to kind of get it right.

However the stretch will only work for cheddar as other makes have different scald times and temps and will stretch at different rates.  Again, this is something I need to look at.

Milling you can just rip the curd up into walnut sized pieces.

You don't need a press - we actually use weights as you can see in the video.

I've done 3/4 of the video but want to do the pH bit before I put it up as this is the main problem for most people and the most important part.