Author Topic: waxing question  (Read 1614 times)

Sedona

waxing question
« on: June 08, 2009, 11:54:49 PM »
I made on 5/30  the first hard cheese, the wheel is dry to touch on the sides but not on top and bottom (still a little moist).  My question is, do a wheel need to be completely dry to touch to be waxed?  Do i need to wait a little longer?
Thanks, Sedona

wharris

Re: waxing question
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 01:34:11 AM »
I would wait for it to be completely dry.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 03:05:22 AM »
Excess moisture on the cheese before waxing could result in mold under the wax - I'd wait.

zenith1

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 06:28:18 PM »
I would also let it completely dry. ~ 5 days should do it. But keep in mind air temps and humidity will greatly affect the drying time. Be patient and go by the feel and your gut feeling if it is really "dry to the touch".

wharris

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 06:56:10 PM »
I would add that I would not be in a big hurry to make it dry.  If dried too fast, the rind will crack.  And that is all bad.

Sedona

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 12:01:05 AM »
Thank you all, i guess i wait a few more days. The wheel is now air drying for 9 days. I had to get mould of several times, and more mould appears. I assume that all the mould have to be cleaned before waxing, is that correct? Are you wipe the wheel with salt before waxing?
Thanks again for the help.
Sedona
Oh before i forget. I have 2 monterey cheese recipes both are made with pasteurized cow milk. In one recipe it say: combine milk, calcium chloride and heat to 88 F.  The other recipe: the calcium chloride is added after the milk is ripen & before the rennet is added.   I'm wondering which one is correct?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 02:22:25 AM »
Try washing your cheeses in 1 cup of salt to 5 cups of pure water or whey if you have it with a few teaspoons a white vinegar.

As for the recipes they are both right. The main point to note is - you have to add the calcium cloride before the rennet. The calcium cloride will not hurt the bacterial cultures but will help the milk coagualte better after the renet is added.