Author Topic: New cheese press  (Read 3062 times)

KazAugustin

New cheese press
« on: July 25, 2016, 06:34:51 AM »
Being both engineering types, we had to over-engineer our first cheese press. Hubby was the shop, I was co-design and QA (otherwise known as "being the wife"). We got the springs from a scooter shop for RM10 each! LOL Total list of materials:

2 x wooden chopping boards = RM20
2 x springs of some kind = RM20
Nuts and bolts = RM10
Wood offcuts = RM2
Ruler = RM1
Metal drip tray (not shown) = RM5
Lacquer = RM5
Sweat and swearing = N/C!

Total cost: RM63, say RM65, which is US$16

We then took the contraption to our local shopping centre where there's a fitness store and asked if we could use some of their equipment to help calibrate our press. (Perplexed, they said yes and then helped us find and hold the appropriate weights on the top bar. They didn't understand what we meant by using weights to make cheese.) We then marked off baseline, 2.5kg, 5kg, 10kg, 20kg and 25kg. The baseline mark means we can move the lower bar (marked with the two white screws on the ruler) to match moulds and follower lengths and still have a zero-mark at the upper bar.

You use it by placing the cheese plus follower beneath the lower wooden bar and then tightening the nuts at the top bar, down to the appropriate weight. It's pretty much maxed out at 25kg or 55lbs. I'll have to prettify the ruler but it's pretty much ready to go.

Additional QA by Sausage, the dog.

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
Re: New cheese press
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 11:45:40 AM »
Nice work. A cheese for your design and engineering skills.
Please be aware that when you use it, you will need to adjust it during the pressing to maintain the pressure as the cheese becomes compressed.
- Andrew

KazAugustin

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 01:14:11 AM »
You're absolutely correct, Andrew. I wish I had my shop with me here, but it's difficult to source materials locally (southern Johor) for a project like this. My dream is the sturdypress (http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,138like.html) that smolt1 made. Sigh.  ;)

soniaR

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 05:30:01 PM »
hi Kaz - I like your press!

Just to make sure I understand it, the nuts underneath the lower wooden bar were just added for calibration and you remove those two nuts when you use to press cheese, correct?

thx

Thewitt

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 06:14:27 PM »
You're absolutely correct, Andrew. I wish I had my shop with me here, but it's difficult to source materials locally (southern Johor) for a project like this. My dream is the sturdypress (http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,138like.html) that smolt1 made. Sigh.  ;)

I built a SturdyPress when I lived in Penang. The only difference between the one I could purchase and the one I built is mine is made of tropical hardwoods ...