Author Topic: This looking alright?  (Read 1221 times)

brewbush

This looking alright?
« on: July 31, 2016, 09:59:02 PM »
So I am doing a blue cheese with recipe found on beverage people website. I have attached a couple pictures of how they look now.  Nowhere in recipe, or any recipe I find does it say to smear the rough edges but I am not sure if or when this is done.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: This looking alright?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 01:36:12 AM »
Brew (or Brush?),

Not all blue cheeses call for the rubbing (smoothing/smearing) of the sides. Stilton is the primary one that calls for this. All of the blues I have made have been Gorgonzolas, which have not called for any rubbing.
-- Andy

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 06:06:51 PM »
It should be fine... The curds look a little dry... But still fine...
Depending on the moulds you used... The recipe implies a "stacking" style mould. So not sure if you followed that or not. The curds may have been better knit with the right pressure, being stacked 4 high, after milling it from its overnight pressing. You will see that the blue recipe is closely related to a feta recipe. A loose curd knit is good for a blue... Lots of nooks and crannies to grow that yummy PF ...you may not even have to pierce it if the curds are loose inside too... In fact, you may hurt the small cakes by breaking apart with a piercing... Do it at room temp if you are. Good luck my friend :)

Frodage3

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 02:35:38 AM »
doing a blue cheese
Hi Brewbush,
Nice initial pictures. I gave you a cheese for the effort. I'm looking forward to more pictures as they develop!