Author Topic: Frodage's First Parm  (Read 2476 times)

Frodage3

Frodage's First Parm
« on: August 03, 2016, 02:37:55 PM »
After reading so many other's exploits, I have finally branched into making this style. I can't wait to see what happens! Here is the recipe and a few photos. The make went extremely quickly, as if I'm getting the hang of the general procedure!  :)

1) 8L P&H 2% milk, 1/4tsp CaCl2,warmed to 34C
2)  200mL Kefir "Liberte" includes Streptococcus thermophilus, L delbrueckii subsp bulgaricus, L casei, L acidophilus, B lactis, L rhamnosus, L lactis subsp cremoris, L lactis subsp lactis biovar diacetylactis; L meenteroides subsp cremoris, L delbrueckii subsp lactis.
3) 1/4 tsp lipase in 125mL water
4) Ripen 30 min
5) Rennet: 1/2 tab in 125mL previously boiled and cooled water
6) Time to flocculation = 9 min. Flocculation factor 2.25. Resulting rest time 21 min.
7) Cut curds to 3cm over 2 minutes, then gentle up-and-down whisk to 1cm over 10 min. Note: the curds were very soft.
8 ) Quick scald to 44C over 10 minutes with boiling water (1L). With stirring.
9) Increase scald to 57C over 10 minutes with boiling water (2L). With stirring.
10) Immediately transfer to cloth-lined collander for brief draining.
11) Transfer to mould and hand press with follower.
12) Press with 5kg for 5 min until trickle of whey slows (photo).
13) Press with 10kg for 30 min then redress, flip and press again for 2.5 hours more.
14) Rest in mould overnight. This is where the follower was resting on edge and made an indent into the rind. I hope this doesn't wreck the cheese! (photo).
15) Day 2: Dry salt (1% mass of cheese).
16) Day 3: Dry salt opposite side (1% mass of cheese).
17) Day 4: Place in 10C fridge – see photo of salt on the rind.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Frodage's First Parm
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 08:03:35 PM »
Frodage, well done and AC4U.

Sharing from my experience, an 8L parm is really, really small for that make - but even the 4-gallon size that I have made most recently is only a fraction of the hundred-pound size of a "real" parm. The issue is the LONG aging required and the fact that a small cheese will dry much differently than a large one. As a result, I let my parms age in the cave for a couple of months or so, wiping any mold off with paper towel moistened with white wine. Then, to keep it from drying out too much, I vac-bag it to age for at least a full year - at least. My experience - limited, to be sure - is that it doesn't really develop the full flavor profile until it has aged at least 2 years!

Vac-bagging no doubt causes it to age in ways that are not quite in keeping with what a parm should be ... but I have to say that my 2+ year old parm has started to taste really, really good. Too bad I've only got a little bit left of it! I've got another that is about 14-15 months along, and obviously I need to make another one or two so that I can get the aging started ...
-- Andy

Frodage3

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 02:03:09 AM »
Hi Andy,
Thanks for the words of inspiration!
Jim.

Frodage4

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 03:34:51 AM »
Five months in, and a dimple has appeared. Something is going on inside there and it smells good!  O0

Frodage4

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 12:18:24 AM »
At 11 months, I just couldn't wait. :( So I followed the example on the videos and I cut and cut and cut, and squeezed and sure enough - It cracked! :D What beautiful insides! And the aroma was even better than in November! Well, the taste wasn't as good as Reggiano, but I wasn't really expecting that. It's good. Umami, and salty, and just a hint of "where have you been all my life?". If I can do this on a first attempt, just imagine my second!

FYI, I've just started a new position in Washington and Oregon, so I expect to meet up with my cheese-friends in the coming months. See you soon!

AnnDee

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 09:13:06 AM »
❤️❤️❤️
My carpacio needs this! AC4U!

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 03:10:34 PM »
Well done - AC4U!
-- Andy

Duntov

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 05:12:06 PM »
Congratulations.  Have a cheese on me also!

Frodage4

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 07:18:35 PM »
Thanks for the cheeses!