Author Topic: Hello from Colorado  (Read 2412 times)

CarolD

Hello from Colorado
« on: August 03, 2016, 10:43:28 PM »
Have been lurking for a while and thought I would introduce myself. I have milk goats and whey more milk than I can drink so I decided to make cheese. Have made lots of Cheve, lots of quick Mozzarella. Have 2 Cheddars and one Gouda in my cave. Also have 2 Drunken Goat. Taste tested my first Cheddar today and it tastes like Cheddar ;D. Still learning, had my first Mozzarella failure the other day, thinking late stage goat milk and the PH was off. Happy to meet all of you.
Attached a pic of my mini cave, going to have to get a big freezer and convert it soon ;D

CarolD

Re: Hello from Colorado
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 10:52:24 PM »
I have Alpines and Oberhausli goats so my butterfat is low, next year have some Nubian crosses, cant wait to see what kind of cheese they make

Kern

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 11:04:20 PM »
I have Alpines and Oberhausli goats so my butterfat is low, next year have some Nubian crosses, cant wait to see what kind of cheese they make

So, CarolD how do you teach a goat to make cheese?   ;)  Welcome to the Forum to both you and your goats.

lovinglife

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 01:56:47 PM »
YAY another goat milk cheese maker!  If you can get a cheddar to age past 3 months and not get goatie please please give me your secret!  I am planning on making about a 4 gallon batch of mozz this weekend.  I am going to make the traditional cultured kind and see if I like it better than the 30 minute which is ok just not fantastic.  Then if the cheese turns out I want to make a Tomato Caprese and Corn Galette.  I have two Nubians, one Alpine and one Guernsey in milk right now.  Apart from the Alpine my girls have nice rich milk, great for cheese making.

CarolD

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 08:23:23 PM »

So, CarolD how do you teach a goat to make cheese?   ;)  Welcome to the Forum to both you and your goats.
[/quote]

If only I could teach the goats how to stir the cheese :)

CarolD

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 08:26:55 PM »
YAY another goat milk cheese maker!  If you can get a cheddar to age past 3 months and not get goatie please please give me your secret!  I am planning on making about a 4 gallon batch of mozz this weekend.  I am going to make the traditional cultured kind and see if I like it better than the 30 minute which is ok just not fantastic.  Then if the cheese turns out I want to make a Tomato Caprese and Corn Galette.  I have two Nubians, one Alpine and one Guernsey in milk right now.  Apart from the Alpine my girls have nice rich milk, great for cheese making.

So far my oldest cheddar is a month old, I will have to test again at 3 months. At one month it was good, tasted like a cheddar :) I will keep what you said in mind and test again at 3. Would be sad if it got goaty later. I had my first failed batch of Mozz the other day and it was one I was going to trade for turkey. I have not done the cultured mozz yet

valley ranch

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 07:20:30 PM »
Welcome carol, Glad you came by. Like to hear a bunch more about your cheese making and your cheese cave, if you've time.

Richard

lovinglife, I use to raise Saanen, their milk was nice, but the best goat milk we've ever tasted is from our girls Pygmy Goats.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 07:27:46 PM by valley ranch »

lovinglife

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 01:54:28 PM »
Pygmy milk!  That must have been fun to watch you milking a little pygmy....  I hear Boers have really great milk rich and creamy they just don't milk very long.  I have a couple alpine boer does in the herd now, may have to milk them next year and see what their milk is like.

CarolD

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 06:46:40 PM »
Welcome carol, Glad you came by. Like to hear a bunch more about your cheese making and your cheese cave, if you've time.

Richard

I would love to talk, I am very new to cheesemaking. My cheese cave is just a mini fridge that I converted. I really need a bigger cave! I plan on converting a freezer as I have heard it is easier to control humidity with a freezer than it is with a mini fridge. I do manage to keep my humidity somewhere around 80 most of the time, but it does dip occasionally and sometimes it gets as high as 90. Made another cheddar the other day, probably the last of my season, my girls are slowing down a bit and It takes too long to get the 4 gallons. going to make a few more gouda

CarolD

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 06:50:42 PM »
Pygmy milk!  That must have been fun to watch you milking a little pygmy....  I hear Boers have really great milk rich and creamy they just don't milk very long.  I have a couple alpine boer does in the herd now, may have to milk them next year and see what their milk is like.

Next year I will have an alpine/boer/nubian crosses. My nubian ober crosses have some boer in them. It is popular here to cross with the boers so that the goats can be multi purpose

Setsumi

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 01:36:25 PM »
I am new here.  The reference to Boer caught my eye. I am Afrikaans speaking South African. A Boer means Afrikaans an a boerbok or Boer goat is dear to me.... although they can be pretty stuborn.... both goat and person.