Author Topic: Failed coagulation on the stove right now,plz help !!  (Read 1144 times)

Samsonight666

Failed coagulation on the stove right now,plz help !!
« on: August 15, 2016, 12:00:18 AM »
Making mozzerella,i did everything right except did not use the rennet within the time stated ,it was on counter for 1/2 hour,nothing will set,what do i do with this mess of 4 ltres of 3% milk now ,went through all the steps and wont set up,now what ?? Dont want to waste it ,please help,The Beginer  I have it cooling on the stove right this minute so any help toght would greatly be appreciated!!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 12:25:22 AM by Samsonight666 »

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Failed coagulation on the stove right now,plz help !!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 01:47:48 PM »
Sorry, Samson, that I just now saw this - probably too late. I'd guess the only hope for what you have at this point is to heat it up to 180°F (82°C) or thereabouts and make it into ricotta.

Is this your first foray into making cheese? If so, be aware that mozzarella is notoriously difficult to get right -- contrary to the "easy 30-minute" advertising that is so common. (Are you using the 30-minute recipe for mozzarella? Or something else?)

A couple of other comments: using the rennet within a certain time frame might affect coagulation, but as long as we're not talking more than an hour, I wouldn't expect it to be the reason for setting or not setting. What type of rennet are you using, and how much?

What type of milk are you using - store bought, pasteurized and homogenized, or ?? Anything other than raw milk has been subjected to some level of damage; as long as the damage is not too great, one can still make good, even great, cheese from it. But if the milk has been, say, ultra-pasteurized, the chances of success get very, very slim.

MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL: Welcome to the forum! Don't give up now - all of us have had some failures - there's even a lengthy thread detailing many of these, just as a sort of shared pain & encouragement. :) This is a great group of folks who will help you figure it out and succeed. The results are well worth the effort!
-- Andy

Offline Bernardsmith

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 02:14:34 PM »
How much rennet did you use to coagulate the gallon? And how was the rennet stored? I have not been able to make mozzarella myself as I do not have - as yet - access to raw milk (I think all the dairies I have access to pasteurize their milk at too high a temperature).. but two possibilities strike this novice cheese maker - one is that the ratio of milk to rennet was simply too great (not enough rennet) or the rennet was spoiled either because of the way it was stored or because of its age.
Last point, and silly question, I am sure , but after mixing in the rennet you did allow the milk to sit undisturbed for about 50 minutes? Goes without saying that if you agitate or stir the milk after you have added the rennet the milk will not set and provide you with a clean break

Samsonight666

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 03:57:20 PM »
Ty for getting back to me ,Rennet is animal ,was stored in fridge where purchased,used 1/4 for 4 litres as stated on bottle ,cant remember now how much i stired ,got the temps right as i have a candy themoteter that Is correct ,thats it ,,,soupy mess lol

Samsonight666

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 03:58:30 PM »
missed 1 tsp extra asorbic acid in recipe ,i just reheated to 50 f and put it in and it immediately made curds ,now waiting till it gets to 90 shut off add more rennet,just not sure how much more for 1 gallon ,she used 1 tablet i have powder
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 04:14:10 PM by Samsonight666 »

Samsonight666

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 06:40:27 PM »
Well i believe ive made either ricotta or cottage cheese,will do better next time im ,sure thx everyone for helping ,and will close delete this topic later today