Author Topic: increase milk fat  (Read 1455 times)

abd_jaradat

increase milk fat
« on: August 22, 2016, 02:11:32 PM »
Hello all
First I'm sorry for my English.
I have started in cheese making just for trying and for my family need so my first cheese was mozzarella.
at beginning, I faced multiple failure attempts  but finally i succeeded. Now my problem with mozzarella cheese is the quality.

I have read a lot about mozzarella and cheese and how to enhance its quality and get more quantity

1- for quality i found that the mozzarella stretch depends on fat ratio in milk, so i have tried to add some butter to milk, but it didn't work, the butter overflow on milk surface and didn't mix
2- after that i tried to emulsify butter in milk using some eggs but now the mozzarella failed 
3-for quantity i have tried to add milk powder to milk and much cheese but the problem cheese didn't stretch at all and become hard one

so now my problem is how to increase the fat ratio in milk so the cheese milt faster and give more stretch?
using butter or vegetable oil and what type of emulsifier should i use without affect mozzarellah

the  heavy cream is not an option it cost a lot in my country

Thanks for your help

Sailor Con Queso

Re: increase milk fat
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 09:51:25 PM »
Add cream.

Frodage3

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 03:39:02 AM »
Hi Abd-Jaradat,
I have never made mozzarella before, because I think it's difficult to stretch a hot cheese. Are you following a recipe from an on-line company like 'New England Cheese'? If you are following a recipe, could you post it here? Thanks!

abd_jaradat

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 12:49:18 PM »
Thanks all for your replay

Sailor Con Queso : i think if i add heavy cream the stretch quality will be enhanced but i need cheap method like using vegetable oil.

Frodage3: its simple recipe

1- heat the milk up to 63 Celsius "C" not  Fahrenheit "F", this step to kill bacteria in milk and to prevent bacteria at 30 c to decrease ph level
2- let it cool down to 32 C
3- for 4 liters of milk add 2 tea spoon  of sour salt "citric acid" its the same name, dilute sour salt in non chlorine water its very important
otherwise the recipe will fail
4- i use tablet rennet add one quarter  per 4 liter milk, again dilute rennet in non chlorine water
5- thats it now just follow the general steps to prepare cheese after you have clean break

don't press cheese more than 30 min or it will be dry
store cheese with some way just to prevent it to become dry

Thanks

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 02:18:53 PM »
Do you want to make good cheese or cheap cheese? Add cream (and it won't take much). No way that I would add vegetable oil, emulsifiers, and chemicals. Use liquid rennet instead of the tablets.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 04:55:30 PM »
Abd_jaradat,

Welcome to the forum! I fully understand the issue with the cost or availability of cream or of suitable milk; I grew up in Asia, and anything other than powdered milk was terribly expensive. But Sailor's point is very true - the further the milk (or cream) is from being pure, straight-from-the-cow (or goat or sheep, etc.), the harder it is to be successful in making cheese. And I don't know of any way to add an emulsifier to milk that will be successful in making cheese. :(

As it turns out, mozzarella is actually one of the hardest cheeses to be consistently successful with. The problem you are having may not be with the fat content, but with the acidity of the curd. Adding acid (citric acid or sour salt) is a quick way to acidify the curd, but I have found it difficult to get just the right amount. Mozzarella only stretches well when it is at just the right level of acidity, 5.3 pH or very close.

One thing you might try is the longer method of making mozzarella. Instead of adding sour salt, add some yogurt. This has the same type of bacteria that is used in making traditional mozzarella. Let the yogurt+milk sit at 32°C for 30 minutes or so, then add the rennet. Stir it in for no more than one minute, then let it rest until it has formed a curd with a "clean break." Cut this curd into 1 or 1.5 cm cubes and let it rest for 5-10 minutes. Then gently begin to stir it, and follow the method you have used before to drain the curd. Now comes the important part: the curd will gradually become more acidic as the bacteria in the yogurt works on it. You will have to test the curd periodically to see if it has reached the right acidity to stretch - put a little curd into hot water and see if it will stretch. Once the little piece stretches, you can go ahead and do the rest.

Let us know if this helps!

-- Andy