Author Topic: Kashk / dried yogurt?  (Read 3103 times)

OudeKaas

Kashk / dried yogurt?
« on: August 22, 2016, 04:33:23 PM »
Hi all -

It has been a while since I have posted here, and I haven't made 'proper' cheese for some time  :-[ - hoping to get back on that wagon soon!

Meanwhile I have been pursuing other pursuits, but my dairy endeavors have been limited to making yogurt and straining it for labneh from time to time. I recently used my dehydrator on some strained yogurt to make hard cookie-like lumps which appear to have a long shelf life and parmesan-like flavor. This was in the interest of seeing if the yogurt process could go farther after having a Persian eggplant dish "kashk e badamjan", which referenced kashk - a "dried yogurt" or "powdered yogurt" - as a traditional ingredient.

I have no idea if the version I made bears any resemblance to the real thing, but I have found these to be very nice crumbled into scrambled eggs for some umami and mildly tangy cheese-like flavor. See the pic below - I made my labneh into small balls and put them in the deyhdrator, but they quickly flattened out into cookie-like blocks. The one on the right is whole and on the left you can see how they chop up into powder/fragments when you run a knife through them.

Would appreciate hearing of any experiences others may have had in this vein. Here is some related info for reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashk

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
Re: Kashk / dried yogurt?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 04:25:32 PM »
Hi Brandnetel, you may be interested in this article .....
http://www.cheesemaking.com/store/pg/54-Shankleshe.html

Enjoy,
Fritz

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Kashk / dried yogurt?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 04:23:03 PM »
Interesting! I haven't made yoghurt in a while ... maybe it's time to get back to it, and try this out!
-- Andy