Author Topic: Cheese maturation  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Tomek

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
Cheese maturation
« on: August 23, 2016, 07:58:39 AM »
Hi,

I don't understand one thing about cheese maturation.

I have read that "A key aspect of the maturation process is the constant exchange of gases evolved by the cheese (including carbon dioxide and ammonia gas) and oxygen present in the atmosphere."

So, when I have waxed my cheese then I will stop this exchange of gases evolved?

Tomek

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Cheese maturation
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 05:10:43 PM »
Hi Tomek,

Others on this board are far more experienced than I am, but I will offer at least an initial attempt to answer your question. The importance of the gas exchange will vary depending on the type of cheese. In general, I suspect that all cheeses could benefit from some gas exchange, or that allowing this exchange would create particular flavor profiles ... but some cheeses are traditionally waxed, and in more recent times, some award winning cheeses have been aged in (horrors!) plastic vacuum packs.

Some cheeses, however, simply CANNOT be sealed - the soft cheeses that depend on mold or bacterial ripening on the surface, such as camembert. Sealing these would stop the ripening.

For camemberts or other cheeses that need to breathe, I either use special cheese-wrapping paper or a ripening box.

For other cheeses (i.e., hard or semi-hard), I vacuum-bag them, but only after they have had two or three weeks to ripen unwrapped in the "cave." By that point, a good rind is developed, and they have had a chance to develop flavor. By that point also, as best I understand it, all of the lactic bacteria are dead, so hopefully oxygen is no longer a major issue. Since my cave runs on the dry side, I don't want them to dry out too much, so vac-bagging (or waxing, but vac-bagging is easier) helps them to maintain a desirable level of moisture. I have no idea how my results compare to the real experts, but I can say that I and others who have tried them have been quite happy with the results.

I hope this helps!
-- Andy

Offline Tomek

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 06:13:58 AM »
For other cheeses (i.e., hard or semi-hard), I vacuum-bag them, but only after they have had two or three weeks to ripen unwrapped in the "cave." By that point, a good rind is developed, and they have had a chance to develop flavor. By that point also, as best I understand it, all of the lactic bacteria are dead, so hopefully oxygen is no longer a major issue.

All clear. Thanks.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 07:29:14 PM »
In addition to natural rind development and vacuum-sealing cheeses, I would highly recommend the use of cream coating for rind protection and development. Once a semihard or hard cheese is developed to a certain point, two or three coats of the cream coating can be applied to the dry rind. The beauty of the cream coating is that it often contains natamycin which helps to protect the rind and also that the coating allows limited exchange of gases. Unlike vacuum-sealing, the cream coating does allow some moisture loss over time.

Here is an example.

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Tomek

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 06:20:52 AM »
Thanks Boofer. I didn't heard about cream coating. I see that the cream coating is very helpful.