Author Topic: Morning from Oz  (Read 1458 times)

Wheelsofcheese

Morning from Oz
« on: August 29, 2016, 12:59:42 AM »
Morning all,

I just joined this morning to learn and chat with likeminded folk about cheese making. As yet I haven't attempted to make the great food but hopefully will soon (will post a question in another area methinks). Looking forward to getting to know you all and hopefully have some wheels to share and display soon.

Wheels

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
Re: Morning from Oz
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 07:45:54 AM »
Welcome on board. It's always nice to welcome another Aussie to the Forum.
You should find a wealth of information here and plenty of knowledgeable people willing to help you with any questions you have.
I will look forward to seeing what you produce once you get started.
- Andrew

Duntov

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 08:32:14 AM »
Welcome!

Wheelsofcheese

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 09:18:47 AM »
Thanks for the welcome I'm excited to start.

@raw prawn - you have already taken the time to answer my first n00b question so thank you so much for that. :)

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 11:50:53 AM »
Awesome! Glad you found us .... Welcome and feel free to dive right in ... Step one: find the best milk possible in your area... The rest is easy :)

See you in there !
Fritz

Wheelsofcheese

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 12:20:37 PM »
I have been giving a lot of consideration to which milk to use, I was actually considering Maleney Dairy pasturised (ridiculously creamy) for a nice cheddar or Neufachtel cheese).  But maybe I am letting my ambition get the better of me (baby steps I keep telling myself).

valley ranch

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 12:35:59 AM »
Welcome, which milk, I'd say in this order: Fresh milk from your own creature, Fresh milk from a clean reliable source, Whole milk from a market.
some think it's down hill from this point.

Read a bit on this forum and you'll get what people here are doing. See you around.

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 07:58:09 AM »
Further to Valley's wise words, if you have to buy milk from the supermarket, try to find milk which is not homogenised.
As for the creaminess of the Maleny milk, I find it worth looking at the nutritional information on the label to find out the protein and fat content. If you then have some idea of the Protein:Fat ratio (P:F) of the cheese you want to make, you can choose your milk accordingly. So if wanted a high P:F ratio, such as for something like a Parmesan, you might include some reduced fat milk. For something like a Camembert you could include some Jersey milk or cream to increase the fat content and reduce the P:F ratio.
I have attached a file which will give you a guide to P:F ratios together with some other information.
You can also use an internet search to find the information on the protein and fat content for the cheese you are interested in and calculate P:F from that. If you do that you will probably find that there is a certain amount of variation for any one cheese type.
- Andrew

StuartD

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 02:56:36 AM »
I have been giving a lot of consideration to which milk to use, I was actually considering Maleney Dairy pasturised (ridiculously creamy) for a nice cheddar or Neufachtel cheese).  But maybe I am letting my ambition get the better of me (baby steps I keep telling myself).

Welcome! Nice to see a fellow Queenslander on here. :)

Maleny Dairies milk is great for cheesemaking. Other good quality Queensland milks available in supermarkets/delis that are not homogenised are Barambah (more expensive usually because it is organic), Cooloola (this is great stuff, my milk of choice when I can get it), and 4Real Milk from the robotic dairy out on the Scenic Rim. Also, Norco sells a range of decent milks, one of which is unhomogenised.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing your cheeses!

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 08:23:57 PM »
Welcome wheels.
Your lucky to have great milk available up there. The local supermarkets here have only just started stocking pasteurised, unhomoganised milk.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...