Author Topic: Hi From Minnesota  (Read 1374 times)

moviesign1

Hi From Minnesota
« on: June 10, 2009, 09:13:01 PM »
Hi, a big cheese lover checking in from the Twin Cities.  I'm looking for a new hobby and I think this will fit the bill, it must be due to the fact I grew up in central Wisconsin.

Learning a lot already, can't wait to make my first batch.

Mark

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Hi From Minnesota
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 10:01:49 PM »
Ah well then if you grew up in Wisconsin you know good cheese! That's a big advantage in making it. Welcome!

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 12:15:29 AM »
Welcome to the forum Mark. What kind of cheeses are you interested in making. I would guess your list would include Cheddar.

moviesign1

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 02:08:52 AM »
I love all cheeses.  I'm going to probably start out easy, with some cream and cottage cheese and then graduate onto possibly some cheddar and gouda.  Of course, I wouldn't be a true Wisconsinite if I didn't also make some good 'ol squeaky cheese curds.

zenith1

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 02:49:53 PM »
Well all right then. You would probably be well served starting like you planned, with the soft cheeses first. They require less in time,expertise, and equipment. They also offer more instant gratification. And oh by the way, are just delicious also. If you have goat's milk available try some soft goat's cheese also, plain or with some herbs. Just great eats!

MrsKK

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 01:08:43 PM »
Welcome, Mark!

I grew up in southern Minnesota, but now live in west-central Wisconsin, so have reversed your journey.  I am probably about an hour or so from where you live.

I look forward to hearing about your cheesemaking adventures!

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 07:07:02 PM »
Howdy Mark and welcome to this forum, any recommendations on webiste or forum just send me a PM, John (on holiday).