Author Topic: A question about brine  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Bernardsmith

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
A question about brine
« on: September 14, 2016, 06:21:39 PM »
Is there any downside to using whey from a batch of say Halloumi cheese to make a brine for this cheese or is it preferable to use water. I am making a very small batch of Halloumi so long term storage is not really a consideration. Nevertheless, I would think that the pH of the whey and the calcium content of the whey would be more aligned with the cheese than if I were to use water.. Is there an issue of best practice here?  The brine would be about 8 percent salt solution. Thoughts? Thanks

valley ranch

Re: A question about brine
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 07:43:49 PM »
Hi, As long as the whey is clean of contamination, I can't see a problem. I have been using water myself, let's see what the others think!

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 10:51:04 PM »
I think it is traditional to use whey as the basis for the brine. As you say, this guarantees the right pH and calcium balance. But I confess I've always made brine with distilled water, adding vinegar and CaCl to get the right balance - it has worked fine for me.
-- Andy

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 04:37:49 AM »
I have always used the whey , but after I cooked it to get the ricotta out.

But cooking it means you have to add calcium chloride  also I cook it before the ph  goes under 5 so it takes a pinch of vinager

Offline Bernardsmith

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 12:09:45 AM »
Thanks for your comments and thoughts... I subsequently read in Mary Karlin's Artisan Cheese Making at Home that she suggests that brine could be made with 50 % whey and 50 % water...