Author Topic: Temperature Control  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Lloyd

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
  • Default personal text
Temperature Control
« on: September 24, 2016, 05:07:17 PM »
Spotted this the other day - wonder how good it would be controlling either milk directly, or the water bath?

mswhin63

Re: Temperature Control
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 04:22:50 AM »
I am considering a similar option. The best though is to make sure it has water pump with the heater to ensure good water regulation in temperature.

I have a simple device i made for Sous Vide cooking. Cost me about AU$25.00 but there is not water flow.

Not yet tried it out but hope to one day.

Lavanta

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 03:39:28 PM »
It works great for my 2 gallon set up (metal half pan in a polycarb tub with an Anova SV controller, like the 4th pic on the link below). I set the controller a few degrees higher than the target milk temperature and it can hold it there as long as necessary. 

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,12461.msg96289.html#msg96289

jeb

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 03:54:48 AM »
Like mswhin63, I built a temperature controller to play with Sous Vide cooking and have been repurposing it for cheesemaking.
The controller I built is described at http://www.hoptomology.com/2012/02/06/how-to-build-your-own-temperature-controller-box/
I been using a double boiler with a hot plate as the heat source, which has worked ok, but I've found that the controller also works well with the 2 gallon pasteurizer that I have. The temperature isn't controlled quite as tightly as with the Anova SV because of the lack of circulation, but it easily maintains the temperature within a 2 degree range.

valley ranch

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 03:37:36 PM »
Quote: then connect the black wire from the power cord to the free end of the black wire from the #1 spot on the temperature controller with another marrette like this:

I'm seeing in the schemetic the black wire is connected to pole #7 (and also but not mentioned) pig tailed into the +pos (black wire) on the power cord.

marrette= wire nut

Thanks for showing the make for controller.