Author Topic: Dissertation Cheddar  (Read 1640 times)

Offline gathwaegl

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
  • Default personal text
Dissertation Cheddar
« on: September 30, 2016, 02:28:15 AM »
I've been making quite a bit of cheese recently so I thought I'd put a picture of a Cheddar that I made. It might have been someone on this very forum who suggested I make a dissertation cheese. I can't remember and I tried to search it up but didn't find anything. But I am in the loose beginnings of my writing phase so I thought I'd make a cheese to age until I'm done. So we have Dissertation Cheddar.

I still haven't invested in any pH meters, but I followed Gavin Webber's recipe that he's posted online.

I picked up the best milk I could find.

cheddaring

good lookin' wheel

I didn't add any annatto (I have a few friends with IBD that I want to share this cheese with), so hopefully everyone else will be okay with a white cheddar to eat at my defense. This cheese was the first one where I used my SturdyPress for and it was wonderful. I certainly will be using this press instead of my spring one going forward. Or perhaps I will simply make more than one cheese at a time :).

I'm simply planning to wax this guy instead of cloth banding, but hopefully there'll be enough time by the time I graduate to have a good tasting cheddar.
@justifiedgaines

Frodage3

Re: Dissertation Cheddar
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 03:48:24 AM »
Nice looking wheel, for sure! Good luck with your thesis defence and good luck with the cheese. AC4U

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 06:00:44 PM »
Well done - looks like a good knit. Nothing wrong with white cheddar - it will taste just as good!

AC4U.
-- Andy

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 03:50:29 AM »
Yup, looks good... congrats...a cheese for your efforts... hope you give it some good aging time.  More is better in this case :)

F

Offline gathwaegl

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 02:57:34 PM »
So it's been a long time coming, but I've finally finished my dissertation and I shall be presenting my PI with a parting gift at our lunch today. More pictures will come soon but I am so excited! I also wanted to repost my original pictures since photobucket isn't hosting well.

[Note, I'm trying to figure out why imgur is suddenly not hosting well for me; Pictures coming soon]

Milk

Curds

Cheddaring

Pressed

10 months, ready to open today at lunch!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 03:05:03 PM by Justifiedgaines »
@justifiedgaines

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 08:47:21 PM »
Congratulations! As for the pictures, you may find it easier just to upload them here. :)
-- Andy

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 03:59:21 AM »
Congratulations! As for the pictures, you may find it easier just to upload them here. :)
Good point as some hosting services may cause pics to just go away in the future. If you upload them to the forum, they survive. ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline gathwaegl

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 06:02:54 PM »
Alright, sorry for disappearing for a bit. I graduated and then moved across the country for my job but I'm finally settled in with internet. And my PI sent me pictures of the cheese I gave her.

Also, I didn't know I could host the pictures here! I will certainly do that next time; I'm finally settled enough to start making cheese again. I'm super excited because raw milk is legal here. But I'll post more about that when we get there, or now, the pictures I promised ages ago!

PI says it tastes like a sharp cheddar. She's been using it on sandwiches for her and her daughter's lunch. They've loved the cheese that I make. She's also planning on making some mac and cheese with it, and has made stuffed meatloaf with it.
@justifiedgaines