Author Topic: Traditional Feta Question  (Read 5542 times)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Traditional Feta Question
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 01:36:26 PM »
There is a lot to see right in Athens - starting, of course, with the Parthenon, a staggering site. I believe the same ticket also lets you wander through the excavations around the Parthenon, including the Temple of Hephaestus. During the summer the crowds are very heavy, but maybe this time of year it won't be so bad - but I recommend going early. If you get there first thing, they have an interesting ceremony for the changing of the guard. The National Archaeological Museum is fascinating as well - if you like museums, you could easily spend many hours there.

Going to a rural village with vineyards - that's over the top! Much as there is to see in Athens, Greece is a beautiful country, so well worth getting out in the countryside. If by any chance the village is to the south of Athens, you might consider a side trip to Corinth - it is a couple of hours south of Athens.

Enjoy!
-- Andy

UpMyKilt

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 09:18:32 PM »
Thanks so much for sharing your advice, Andy!! It's much appreciated.

We'll see how it all goes... truth be told - there could be a budding romance going on here.. :D I've known this lady for quite a long time... it's time we finally met in person... and that opportunity (almost miraculously) came up. It's less of a tourist trip, and more of a personal trip in which I hope to actually experience Greece - not merely as a tourist trying to get everything in, but experience it right at the deepest level of actual life, both in the city and village :) Anything else will be extra rich gravy :)

Of course, my own past and studies have lead me to a certain affinity for the ancients of Greece especially Socrates and Aristotle. Plato? Interesting but I'm more agreeable to Aristotle :) I'm very excited about it; a few years ago, a visit to Greece was only a distant dream that didn't seem to be a real possibility; I really ought to return to Northern Ireland for a visit and other places as well.

Perhaps I'll write a book about the entire experience. I have a title picked out already: Conversations Over Feta :D

Back to work here.. have a ton of things to do in the next two weeks and have yogurt cheese that needs salted, and some feta draining that needs to be brined.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 08:52:19 PM »
My suggestion for a book title: Destined by Feta

:)
-- Andy

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 09:31:06 PM »
Whatever the book may be called... I hope its a short book... because you were too "occupied" to write it  ;)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2017, 03:53:07 PM »
How about "Feta Has Brought Us Together"?

Fritz, so good to see you back on the forum!
-- Andy

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2017, 11:06:49 PM »
Thanks Andy, feels great to be back :)

and.... Isn't that an old Cher song?

"Feta..... Feta, will keep us together.... Feta, has brought us together.... "  O0

Have fun in Greece Ian!

Offline UpMyKilt

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2022, 06:03:38 PM »
There is a lot to see right in Athens - starting, of course, with the Parthenon, a staggering site. I believe the same ticket also lets you wander through the excavations around the Parthenon, including the Temple of Hephaestus. During the summer the crowds are very heavy, but maybe this time of year it won't be so bad - but I recommend going early. If you get there first thing, they have an interesting ceremony for the changing of the guard. The National Archaeological Museum is fascinating as well - if you like museums, you could easily spend many hours there.

Going to a rural village with vineyards - that's over the top! Much as there is to see in Athens, Greece is a beautiful country, so well worth getting out in the countryside. If by any chance the village is to the south of Athens, you might consider a side trip to Corinth - it is a couple of hours south of Athens.

Enjoy!

Hey Andy!

It's been a long time since we had this conversation. Guess where I have been living now? :)

Greece.

After some trips back and forth, and helping out in the vineyards, olive groves, almond groves, I had a plan to spend time in Greece as well as Canada.... but shortly after I arrived back the last time I flew, COVID hit the world. I stuck it out here, figuring things would be back to "normal" pretty soon.

Anyway, I have purchased my own small olive grove of 65 trees (no production this year however - last winter was brutal in Central Greece with temps hitting as low as -18C. My trees suffered badly from frost burnt leaves, but they are recovering over the past growing season).

I am getting back into cheese making again - for a long while, was living in a house that was tiny, unbearably so, and couldn't do much of anything. But now, I'm renting a house near Lavrio with an amazing view!

Just thought I'd follow up on the old discussion. Hope you are doing well.